2004 LS audiomak headunit buzzing

ez2h8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys:
Anyone have a 2004 LS with the AudioMark head unit and notice once you crank up the volume to about half way, you start to hear a buzzing/whistling sound? I assume the headunit has a cooling fan on it and this is what I am hearing. Problem, the only way I can get it to stop running, even after turning down or off the radio, is to open the drivers door.

Just wondering if anyone heard of this.
Chuck Mc.

found this but says it was on AM bands

Article No.
04-1-7

01/26/04

ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - AM RADIO
INTERFERENCE - VEHICLES PRODUCED PRIOR TO
12/01/2003

LINCOLN:
2003-2004 LS

ISSUE
Some Lincoln LS vehicles produced prior to 12/01/2003 may exhibit interference or popping/clicking noise on certain AM radio stations with the ignition on. The condition may be caused by interference created by the windshield wiper motor. The interference can occur with the windshield wipers on or off.

ACTION
To service, first verify the condition by disconnecting the windshield wiper motor C1026 (refer to Wiring Diagram Manual). If the condition is corrected, then perform the Service Procedure outlined in this TSB. If the condition is not corrected by disconnecting C1026, then compare to a like vehicle, as this may be a normal vehicle characteristic resulting from a weak radio station signal. If the condition is not corrected by disconnecting C1026, and is not comparable to a like vehicle, then refer to Workshop Manual Section 415-00 for diagnostics.

NOTE POOR AM RECEPTION/PERFORMANCE MAY BE CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET TINTING OF THE BACK GLASS. MANY AFTERMARKET TINTING PRODUCTS ARE A METALLIC COMPOSITE MATERIAL CAUSING THE ANTENNA TO SHORT OUT TO THE DEFROSTER GRID. DO NOT PERFORM THIS TSB IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AFTERMARKET TINTING ON THE BACK GLASS.

NOTE CELLULAR PHONE ANTENNA BASES INSTALLED OVER THE ANTENNA GRID ON THE BACK GLASS CAN AFFECT AM RADIO RECEPTION/PERFORMANCE. DO NOT PERFORM THIS TSB IF THERE IS A CELLULAR PHONE ANTENNA BASE INSTALLED OVER THE ANTENNA GRID.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

VEHICLES WITHOUT RAIN SENSE WIPERS

1. Remove the passenger (right) side quarter trim panel to gain access to the 14334 wire harness (Figure 1). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 501-01.

NOTE DO NOT REMOVE THE SAFETY BELT ANCHOR BOLT. THE QUARTER TRIM PANEL ONLY NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE 14334 WIRE HARNESS.

2. Locate C312 for vehicles WITHOUT Side Air Curtains or C3049 for vehicles WITH Side Air Curtains (Figure 1).

3. Locate circuit 8-KA41 (WH/GN wire), which is located at Pin 8 of C312 or Pin 4 of C3049. Refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual for system schematic and connector information.

4. Disable circuit 8-KA41 (WH/GN wire) by removing Pin 8 from C312 or Pin 4 from C3049 and taping back into the 14334 wire harness to prevent short circuits.

NOTE CIRCUIT 8-KA41 (WH/GN WIRE) IS PRESENT ON ALL VEHICLES BUT IS NOT REQUIRED ON VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH RAIN SENSE WIPERS.

5. Install the passenger (right) side quarter trim panel. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-01.

6. Verify the repair.

VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH RAIN SENSE WIPERS

1. Remove the passenger (right) side quarter trim panel to gain access to the 14334 wire harness (Figure 1). Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-01.

NOTE DO NOT REMOVE THE SAFETY BELT ANCHOR BOLT. THE QUARTER TRIM PANEL ONLY NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE 14334 WIRE HARNESS.

2. Remove the 14334 wire harness pushpin fastener (closest to headliner) from the sheet metal (Figure 1).

3. Obtain a sheet of aluminum foil 21.6 cm x 27.9 cm (8.5 x 11 inches).

4. Fold the sheet of aluminum foil lengthwise to double the thickness.

5. Fold the sheet of aluminum foil lengthwise again to create a "V" or channel

6. Place the aluminum foil over the 14334 wire harness (where it runs along the rear window) making sure the wire harness is in the channel (Figure 2).

NOTE PULL THE REAR OF THE HEADLINER DOWN SLIGHTLY SO THAT THE ALUMINUM FOIL CAN BE WRAPPED AROUND THE 14334 WIRE HARNESS APPROXIMATELY 5.1 TO 7.6 CM (2 TO 3 INCHES) ABOVE THE HEADLINER.

7. Wrap the aluminum foil tightly around the 14334 wire harness (Figure 2).

NOTE WRAPPING THE 14334 WIRE HARNESS WITH ALUMINUM FOIL NEAR THE TOP OF THE REAR WINDOW AND HEADLINER IS CRITICAL SO THAT THE WIRE HARNESS IS INSULATED FROM THE AM ANTENNA GRID IN THE REAR WINDOW (FIGURE 2).

NOTE THE PUSH PIN FASTENER SHOULD BE WRAPPED IN ALUMINUM FOIL ALONG WITH THE 14334 WIRE HARNESS ALONG THE UPPER PORTION OF THE REAR WINDOW (FIGURE 2).

8. Install the 14334 wire harness pushpin fastener (closest to the headliner) into the sheet metal (Figure 1).

9. Create a shielded ground around the 14334 wire harness by grounding the aluminum foil to the sheet metal behind the quarter trim panel using a screw and washer assembly Part # N808720-S307 (Figure 2).

NOTE USE A 1/8" DRILL BIT TO DRILL ONE (1) HOLE IN THE SHEET METAL BEHIND THE QUARTER TRIM PANEL SO THAT THE GROUND SCREW AND WASHER CAN BE INSTALLED.

CAUTION CAUTION BE CAREFUL NOT TO RUN THE SCREW THROUGH THE WIRE HARNESS.

CAUTION MAKE SURE THE SCREW IS NOT TOO LONG, WHICH COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE EXTERIOR BODY PANEL:

NOTE INSTALL THE SCREW THROUGH THE ALUMINUM FOIL NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE WRAPPED 14334 WIRE HARNESS (TOWARD THE PACKAGE TRAY) FOR THE BEST RESULTS (FIGURE 2).

10. Install the passenger (right) side quarter trim panel. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-01.

11. Verify the repair.

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

040107A Verify Concern Perform 0.6 Hr.
Procedure For Vehicles
Without Rain Sense
Wipers: Includes Time To
Remove And Install
Quarter Trim Panel And
Verify Repair

040107B Verify Concern Perform 0.7 Hr.
Procedure For Vehicles
With Rain Sense Wipers:
includes Time To Remove
And Install Quarter Trim
Panel And Verify Repair

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
14334 42

eL eS said:
odd that it goes away when the door is opened. Does it return after you close it?

yup, goes away and doesn't come back on when i turn on the ignition. But once I crank it back up, you hear it again.

maybe this TSB

This article supersedes TSB 03-15-01 to update the vehicle lines, model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit inoperative electric rear window defroster (heated backlite) grid lines, integral antenna concerns causing radio reception issues or terminal tabs pulled from the rear window glass.

I would defintely take it in to the dealer. It is always the last thing we want to do but this could take some serious time to troubleshoot.

eL eS said:
maybe this TSB

This article supersedes TSB 03-15-01 to update the vehicle lines, model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit inoperative electric rear window defroster (heated backlite) grid lines, integral antenna concerns causing radio reception issues or terminal tabs pulled from the rear window glass.

I would defintely take it in to the dealer. It is always the last thing we want to do but this could take some serious time to troubleshoot.

Thanks guys for the really quick responses. It's not a whistling from the speakers, but right from headunit. I have had the car since 02/28/05 and since yesterday, its been in the shop 11 days for various repairs/recalls. This last time was for a rattle in the rear left desk lid area. They replaced the rear left door speaker, but that didn't fix it, took it back and had them sit in the car and had them hear it. Tech said it's too much bass, show em the bass level was in middle. They have no idea so they are researching and want it back next week. If I bring this up, they will go thru the roof and so will I. :p I walked all over 3 managers yesterday morning when I showed up. Now waiting for a call from the dealer general manager.

Grrr
Chuck

good night sounds like the 04 version of my 00. I bought it 6 months old and it has become the third child my wife and I hadn't planned on. Did I mention it has been a problematic child but I love it dearly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back