2004 lincoln Ls shift problems.

A_Ardhawa

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 2004 lincoln LS auto V8, I just bought it recently and it was shifting a little rough and it gave a service transmission message on the dash. It gave a code for a gear shirt 2 ratio or something like that.

But if anyone has information on what this could be that would be very helpful thanks.

The 2004 model year transmissions were known to have problems. The factory transmission fluid had a friction compound missing in the fluid. That led to transmission failures around 80KM.

The other issue was that the solenoid pack started acting up at 240-250 KM.

On top of this (if the transmission has never been serviced) the fluid (if not low) has probably broken down enough to cause internal wear on most of the components in the transmission.

The fluid and filter should be changed every 120,000 KM at the most.

You might get lucky if you can find a reputable transmission shop in your area... and just a fluid and filter change is done.

Beyond that... this could get expensive if a rebuild is needed... or another option is to have a shop locate a used transmission from a salvage yard, and hope it works.

Some Ford dealers also can locate a factory rebuilt Motorcraft transmission, but they cost about $3000, and that doesn't include labor.

The 2004 model year transmissions were known to have problems. The factory transmission fluid had a friction compound missing in the fluid. That led to transmission failures around 80KM.

The other issue was that the solenoid pack started acting up at 240-250 KM.

On top of this (if the transmission has never been serviced) the fluid (if not low) has probably broken down enough to cause internal wear on most of the components in the transmission.

The fluid and filter should be changed every 120,000 KM at the most.

You might get lucky if you can find a reputable transmission shop in your area... and just a fluid and filter change is done.

Beyond that... this could get expensive if a rebuild is needed... or another option is to have a shop locate a used transmission from a salvage yard, and hope it works.

Some Ford dealers also can locate a factory rebuilt Motorcraft transmission, but they cost about $3000, and that doesn't include labor.
Thanks for the help I will check out a couple of shops and ask around. Weird thing is sometimes the cars perfectly fine and sometimes it shift weird. But thanks for the help.

When I had issues with my solenoid pack, it made the transmission "quirky".

After I replaced it... the transmission worked normally.

Not sure if they are still available through Ford... but stay away from the "rebuilt" solenoid packs being sold on Ebay. They are junk.

Either way... if the transmission is save-able... you will need a new trans filter and fluid too.

Check fluid level and then check for codes. Otherwise it's just a guessing game.
Are you aware of the complicated way you need to check fluid levels? It's ignored by many and the fluid level is critical.

So do the easy stuff first?
Check fluid level and top up if low or drain out any extra if over filled. As posted above I am sure your way over due for a transmission service too.

Get the actual codes. You might have solenoid/valve body problems or bore case wear it all depends on what codes you find.

Finally can you DIY anything? If not you purchased the wrong car.

Oh and please make sure you have 2 keys. If not make it a priority to get 2.

Members online

Back