2003 LS blower motor resistor removal

Zepaman1

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I Need help with 2003 Lincoln LS blower motor resistor removal. I have searched and found the procedures for other years of the LS and they do not appear to be the same. I have the glove box and blower motor removed and can not get the blower motor housing out so the resistor can be removed. I seem to be missing where some fasteners are to completely remove the housing. I have found the nut on the engine side on the firewall that is attached to a stud attached to the blower motor housing and have removed it but the housing is still attached rock solid. Does anyone have a step by step procedures, diagram, photos, or a cheat?

It's the same for 03 as for other years. You have to remove the entire dash.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

There are a couple of possible hacks to avoid this, and I think that I would probably try one of them. One is to cut up the air box to get the speed controller out and then glue/tape it back together. The other is to mount the replacement speed control under the dash with a small 12V fan added to blow on it to keep it cool.

I'd experiment on one in a junkyard.

Thanks Joegr, this is very depressing that they engineered a 40.00 parts that is known to fail and need replaced into a place that it cost over 1000.00 to replace at the dealer. I am going to try cutting the blower motor housing so the resistor can be removed and then epoxy it back together.

Any part can fail. You can't make a car that has everything replaceable with very little work. I would disagree that the blower speed controller is "known to fail." I have heard of a very few failures, but most are doing fine, including the ones in my two LSes that are approaching 250K miles.

I can attest the gen2 blower controller is a surprisingly robust unit. It'll still fail if it gets too dirty or isn't cooled. Some of them I pulled from the junkyards are coated in nicotine, so I bet they had a tough life. The Gen 1 unit is much simpler, but doesn't have any self-protection circuity so the bit transistor will happily sacrifice itself.
My removal method involves a hammer, so, uh, don't listen to me. That lower blower housing is a real PITA. Then Gen 2 cars are fairly common in u-pull-it yards so you should be able to find a couple to practice on and use their controllers.

I know the blower motor controller requires either the dash pulled, or some surgery on the ductwork...but what about the blower motor? Can this be replaced easily without removing the dash?

Members online

No members online now.
Back