2002 Lincoln LS V8, HELP ME PLEASE !

JomarSoto

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 about 97K miles. I was driving home from work on Friday when I stopped at the red light. My engine light came on and in the status box it said check transmission. My car doesn't want to go into higher gears and my RPM goes high. I have an "E" where the "D5" should be. I scanned it and some of the codes that came up were P0734 GEAR 4 P0735 GEAR 5 AND P0795 PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID. My friend went into her computer and told me that its the 4-3 pre-stroke valve spring. Help?!
JOMAR PHONE 043.jpg

JOMAR PHONE 043.jpg

Unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem. You most likely need a transmission rebuild.

What would the labor be? an estimation, if possible? Iam in love with my sexy car and don't want to have to sell it. If its just the spring thats an easy thing to fix, but the solenoid ?! idk what that even is :/

a transmission rebuild ? so the 4-3 pre stroke valve spring has nothing to do with this ? My friend scanned it with a ford scanner and did her work to find out what was causing all those codes to come up.

From what I've read on the forum here, I've seen people get it done for 900 and I've seen people get it done for 4,000.

Wild guess: About $1K labor and parts at a dealer.

Cheaper than a new Kitchen that's for sure!

a transmission rebuild ? so the 4-3 pre stroke valve spring has nothing to do with this ? ...

Did you read the thread I linked? It agrees with that diagnosis, more or less. The spring is in the valve body, thus the comment about replacing or rebuilding the valve body. While you are in there, replacement of the solenoid assembly is a good idea (and it might also be the source of your problem.)

What is the solenoid and what does it do? I'm thinking of getting the spring fixed first because its cheap and all I have money for at the time, would doing this last me until, maybe income tax time?

I'm going to do my best to sum this up from what I've read during my time here. The transmissions (pre-2003) for these cars were filled with a transmission fluid that has been known to cause problems with the solenoid and valve body. If you have not done a transmission flush (nor have the prior owners) there's a good chance that the original fluid is still in the transmission. The most common problem the transmissions will have are bad solenoid packs. The second most common problem will be the valve spring that will give you issues with shifting from 4-5. Now since you're going to be getting transmission work done, the smart thing to do (this is just me here) would be to replace the solenoid as well. I've seen the solenoid go from $120 - $300.

Heres a thread with more info/better expertise regarding the tranmission:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?80761-5R55-Repairs

What is the solenoid and what does it do? I'm thinking of getting the spring fixed first because its cheap and all I have money for at the time, would doing this last me until, maybe income tax time?

You'd be paying pretty much all the labor and fluid charge twice if you do it this way. If you're paying someone to do it, then the spring is not really cheap either.

I have done my fair share of research on the car but no one on this forum knows more than joe. If he told me that driving my car off a cliff would benefit it. I would.

Yesterday I was in an accident due to a person running a stop sign, then fleeing. I was left with front damage to my 2002 lincoln ls. The whole headlight was smashed and ended up falling out, my fender is bent as well as my hood, and my bumper needs replacement. From how the headlight socket looks, I dont know if it will be as simple as just replacing it. Any thoughts? SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 008.jpgSEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 002.jpgSEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 003.jpgSEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 004.jpgSEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 007.jpg

SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 008.jpg

SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 002.jpg

SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 003.jpg

SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 004.jpg

SEPTEMBER 7TH 2013 007.jpg

So there's no point in trying to fix it ?

That's up to you. Your insurance is probably going to declare it totaled, as in it will cost as much or more to fix the car completely than it is worth.
That headlight assembly alone is about $600 (HID would be $1200). You'll need a new bumper cover, new hood, and new fender at a minimum. There will also be some metal to straighten out.

This literally happened to me about 6 months ago, dealer price will be over 6000, I had mine replaced with the same type of transmission and updated computers to the 2013 models for 2,500 dollars from a family friends transmission shop, he had it running in less than a week, if I had stopped and had it towed when the light came on they could have salvaged mine but a 2 mile drive shut the entire thing down, bad solenoid , sorry of I misspelled that

Members online

Back