2002 Lincoln LS Plugs, boots, wires, coils

Kaitlyn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2002 Lincoln LS V8, and I have very limited car knowledge. I'm confused about the plugs/boots/wires/coils. Are there even wires, or just boots? On some websites when I search I see actual wires, and others I see this: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...ectrical/spark_plug_wire_set.html?brand=denso Are boots just the end of the ignition coils? Like the end of these: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2002/lincoln/ls/engine_electrical/ignition_coil.html ?

Basically if I want to do a tune up, I want to know what I need to buy. 8 ignition coils, 8 spark plugs, but then do I need wires or boots or are they the same thing? Sorry if my wording is confusing, I just am unsure on what I need to order. Thanks for any help

There are no spark plug wires.
You need eight Motorcraft COPs (coils). Don't mess with the aftermarket ones.
Get good spark plugs (no Bosch) and set the gaps to 1.0mm (it may say pre-gap'd, but you still have to set them).

Any oil in the plug wells, and you'll need to replace the valve cover gaskets as well.

There are no spark plug wires.
You need eight Motorcraft COPs (coils). Don't mess with the aftermarket ones.
Get good spark plugs (no Bosch) and set the gaps to 1.0mm (it may say pre-gap'd, but you still have to set them).

Any oil in the plug wells, and you'll need to replace the valve cover gaskets as well.

Thank you so much, and yeah I was going to do the valve cover gaskets anyway. I know these cars are notorious for coils going out, but I am hoping by replacing the valve cover gaskets, it will prevent it. Do you know if the coils tend to go bad even after replacing the cover gaskets? I am going to get felpro, heard it's a good brand.

Also just to double check, are boots just the end of the COPs? Not a separate part to buy?

One more question, I know you said to go with motocraft, and not the cheap ones at the top of this link for sure http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...tion_coil.html but what about the mid grade ones like beck arnley? Still not worth it?

Seriously thanks a lot for your help! I just got this car and of course it has an engine miss so I want to take care of these issues asap. I have had 2 older mercedes in the past, so they are all that I've been used to.

Thank you so much, and yeah I was going to do the valve cover gaskets anyway. I know these cars are notorious for coils going out, but I am hoping by replacing the valve cover gaskets, it will prevent it. ... I am going to get felpro, heard it's a good brand....

Ford did finally correct the VCG problem. It's very possible that your LS already has the newer design ones installed. If you don't see any oil, there is no reason to change them. If you do see oil, Felpro is probably fine.

... Do you know if the coils tend to go bad even after replacing the cover gaskets? ...

Yes, they do. All of my coil failures have been with no oil or water on the coils. Ford determined that the coils are mostly failing due to high voltage breakdown of the epoxy the coils are potted with. (Oil on the plug boots can cause them to fail, leading to coil failure as well, but it was never the main problem.)

...One more question, I know you said to go with motocraft, and not the cheap ones at the top of this link for sure http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...tion_coil.html but what about the mid grade ones like beck arnley? Still not worth it?....

My opinion remains the same, OEM only. Others have different opinions and experiences. Mine have been that you reliably get at least 60K miles out of the Motorcraft coils, and many have made it past 100K miles.

Well if I can get 60k out of these coils that supposedly go out all the time, I will be in pretty decent shape! That's about 6 years so at least it'd be worth it in my mind. I just have heard of some peoples coils going right back out in a couple months. I ordered felpro vcg's, 8 motorcraft coils, and 8 motorcraft plugs! Should be in good shape soon. Thanks so much. Love this car aside from the misfire worries!

Coils and misfires should be on your "watch" list, not your "worry" list.
Your main worry should be if you have the 1st gen timing chain tensioners or the 2nd gen ones. The 1st gen ones are a time bomb that will go off (no doubts about it).
Your next concern should be the plastic parts of the cooling system.

How can I check if I'm first or second gen? Seriously thanks a lot for all this help and advice. I'm a worrier so I like to be informed ahead of time. I will have my mechanic check for cracks in the plastic when he installs the plugs/coils etc.

Unless he uses a microscope, he probably won't find the cracks. It's simple enough, if the plastic parts are more than five to seven years old, they need to go. By the time he removes the degas bottle to check it, might as well put a new one in. Which tensioners you got depends on your production date, but I'm not sure what the exact date is. Since you are planing on replacing the valve cover gaskets, you will be able to just look at the tensioners and see it they are the old ore new design. (Search for pictures of each.)

Is replacing the timing chain tensioner a difficult or easy job? I see the part isn't too expensive..

And (sorry, as I said i really don't know much about cars), if I were to replace the plastic parts of the cooling system, what would those part names be? You said they, so I don't know what all would need replaced other than the coolant reservoir maybe? I hope not the radiator lol

Disclosure: I have a couple of gen IIs. I have only done a little work on gen I.

The ease or difficulty of replacing the tensioners all depends on you. There's nothing that requires a high skill/experience level, but it is above the average repair in that you can do a lot of damage if you mess up. It's easier with special tools, but possible without them.

Cooling:
Degas bottle (reservoir)
Thermostat housing (both parts) and fill cap. (There are aftermarket metal parts for this, sold for Jaguars.), might as well replace the thermostat too.
Plastic crossover tube.
Upper radiator hose.
Lower radiator hose (optional, doesn't get as hot, so lasts longer).
Radiator (you may not need it yet, eventually it will probably crack where the hot water from the upper hose hits the side tank in the front.)
DCCV (wait till it fails)
Aux pump (failure seems to be rare)

Members online

No members online now.
Back