2000 V6 Auto Trans Question??

IamEli

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My question is, for some reason when I shift my car from D5 over to D4, nothing happenes. in my guage cluster, the D5 stays the same, it doesnt change to D4 and there is no change in my trans. i.e. it doesnt downshift if im in 5th gear. Has anyone experienced this before or anything. I do not have a CEL on or anything. Also, if I go past D4 into 3, 2 or 1, it will downshift and chow in the cluster that I have changed gears, it is only D4 that doesn't seem to want to respond.
Thanks for the help,
Elisha

nobody has any guesses?? I want to figure this out and get it taken care of, bvut I hate to take it to the dealership and have them charge me an arm and a leg, but Ill do what I have too.

mine does the same thing, sometimes it will shift immediately, other times it might shift as i pull into the driveway. its got a mind of its own

I wonder if the actual shift to the transmission (not in the transmission) is mechanical or electrical. I guessing electrical and something is not making or breaking the correct circuit. Sorry I can't be of any help.

That is what I was thinking too, but what doesnt make any sense is that It will recognize a shift from D5 to 3,2, or 1. The only one it does not want to shift into is D4. I do not think that there is anything wrong inside the trans itself, I have watched it, felt it, and heard it shift through all 5 gears. So I am still at a loss, I think I will ahve to start taking things apart till i find something that doesnt look right. Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming though, I still need the help.

Alright, new trans problem. Under heavy acceleration I am getting a dreaded hesitation, nothing too extreme, but any time I floor it it is almost like something is slipping. The rpm's while start to rise, then stop, then start to rise again, then stop and so on till it either shifts or i let off the gas. If i had the V8 I would say that it could be the tires, but since I have the V6, i know its not that. haha. At idle and under normal acc. it is fine. I have searched and found that I should start with the fuel filter and then go from there. I called my local Lincoln Dealership and for them to give my car a Once-Over is like $90. which isnt too bad if they can find the problem so that I can fix it. If the filter doenst fix the problem, im gonna guess that it is the coils and vc gasket replacement next. Does my assesment sound right?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

No...that doesn't sound right. you're not complaining of a miss or the car laying down. You say the rpm's rise like the car is spinning the tires then grabs hold. It does sound like a trans problem. I'm quite amazed you don't have some sort of code flashing. I would pay the $90...and right away.

Thank you for the input, Unfortunatly I am begining to agree with you. The only wierd thing is, the hesitation only occurs when I give it full throttle. If i go almost all the way to the floor, like literally an 1/8th inch from the floor, it is fine. Only under full throttle does it do this hesitation. Any input would be great, and I am going to take it too the dealership as soon as I get time.
Thanks again.

IamEli...are you saying the car lays down at WOT?? Or does it rev up and just not go anywhere? Two competely different problems!! One is trans related and the other isn't. Regardless, at this point, I would have someone look at it.

I am saying that the revs stay the same and the car just kind of gives up for a second, then continues to acc. but I know that it isnt acc. as fast as it could, its like it is not getting enough fuel or air. So I replaced the Fuel Filter yesterday and that really didnt change anything, and I ahve checked the air filter and that is still like new, so I dont know what to do now. It is still kinda laying down at wide open throttle.

IamEli said:
My question is, for some reason when I shift my car from D5 over to D4, nothing happenes. in my guage cluster, the D5 stays the same, it doesnt change to D4 and there is no change in my trans. i.e. it doesnt downshift if im in 5th gear. Has anyone experienced this before or anything. I do not have a CEL on or anything. Also, if I go past D4 into 3, 2 or 1, it will downshift and chow in the cluster that I have changed gears, it is only D4 that doesn't seem to want to respond.
Thanks for the help,
Elisha

It's the shifter. A diode in the shifter burns out. It happened to me a few years ago.

Thank you very much, now all i need to know is how to fix it, do I need a whole new shifter? or can I just replace the diode, and if i can , where is the diode and where can i get one.
Thanks again
Elisha

the hesitation is a diff problem though. you need to get that fixed.

IamEli said:
Thank you very much, now all i need to know is how to fix it, do I need a whole new shifter? or can I just replace the diode, and if i can , where is the diode and where can i get one.
Thanks again
Elisha

The shifter must be replaced.

you're about to start throwing money at this thing and you have no idea what's wrong with it! PAY THE DIAGNOSTIC FEE!!!!

yes that's odd. if it's anything like my 03 the shifter mechanically MECHANICALLY moves a pull cable that hits an electronic switch on the tranny. I'm not saying it couldn't be the shifter but that certainly wouldn't be my 1st guess.

You are absolutely right 2001LS8sport. Before I just start tossing money around I am going to get a diognastic done at the dealership. I would hate to spend a bunch of money, only to find out it did nothing. Hopefully I can get that done within a couple days and I will tell you all what the problem is.
Thanks a lot,
Elisha

Members online

Back