2000 LS6 tranny vibration, throw out bearing problem??

00_slow_5spd_ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 LS6 5spd manual 105k miles.

Well guys, this has been going on for a long time now. Ill try to explain it as simple and short as possible.

When my car is running, there is a slight winding noise and it sound like it is coming from my tranny. When i push in the clutch the sound goes away.

Also, when i am traveling at a higher speed around 6mph, i get this wierd vibration that goes along with how much throttle im giving the car, also seems like the tranny.

One more thing, say i am cruising the highway. when i let off the gas i hear this clinking sound maybe the linkage between the tranny. any input is appericated,

Try getting your tires balanced that should fix the vibration at speed. The whine could be the release bearing, but its hard to diagnose without driving the car. Does it change when you hit the throttle? Does it change if its cold or warm? Can you hear it while its in gear rolling slow around idle?

Try getting your tires balanced that should fix the vibration at speed. The whine could be the release bearing, but its hard to diagnose without driving the car. Does it change when you hit the throttle? Does it change if its cold or warm? Can you hear it while its in gear rolling slow around idle?

the vibration has nothing to do with the tires.
the whine get louder as engine rpms are getting huigher. i can not hear it in gear unless i slam it into first at a higher speed say like 30 ish

Mine has always been slightly noisy in neutral until the clutch is depressed. Mine has never gotten worse or changed into a vibration (I'm at 96,000 miles). I would guess input bearing is going south for the noise and the guibo has lost some of rubber (common for XR4Ti's which use the same style driveshaft) for the vibration. The Guibo (the two rubber donuts on the drive shaft) is easy to check just make sure all of the rubber is still there. If Ford is true to form they will want to sell complete driveshaft a BMW Guibo may fit.

Did you change the fluid? Ford recommends a change every 60,000 miles. I'm running GM sychromesh fluid, Pennzoil and Quaker State both sell it, Its a full synthetic fluid SAE30W designed for manual transmissions. GM developed the specs and started recommending it when they had problems with Getrag transmissions in Fieros. These transmissions carry very little fluid.

Members online

No members online now.
Back