2000 LS v8 Transmission Issues :'(

93hotrodlincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so guys today I picked up a lincoln ls off craigslist the car seemed good for 3500 dollars until I was on my way home. after bout 10mins of driving the service transmission light came on and once i got on the interstate I was at 5000rpm in overdrive at a 70mph cruise! when i let off the gas the rpm drops to like 1500. If i want to accelerate the rpms need to be over 4000 for the car to even move... any ideas? :(

sounds like the tranny is having a problem, and so stuck in a lower gear than that appropriate for conditions.

i'd take it to the dealer, i'm guessing prepurchase inspection failed to show any problems...

o/w i'd take it back to the seller.

yep I test drove it in the city so i never felt it and the light was never on.

I thnk the car is in overdrive it just seems like it dsnt grab until at high rpms. all of the other gears feel good... any ideas?

How do I check the fluid on these cars?

There is no dipstick on these cars. what you have to do is find the drain plug for the tranny. then find the allen bolt on the inside of the drain plug bolt. take that allen bolt out. if the tranny fluid is pouring out its full. if not ur gonna have to rig something up or buy a pump to get the tranny fluid in there. i rigged up a gas line hooked to a brake fitting that works fine. good luck. hopefully nothing else is wrong.

Could be low fluid, could be something worse like the overdrive band fried. Read your codes, that should give a hint.

Note that when checking the fluid, the car (not the tranny pan) must be level and tranny warm (not hot). Pull the allen bolt with engine running and fluid should dribble/run out. If nothing, then it's low. Fill plug is on the tailhousing, passenger side, facing the rear of the car. Use any kind of fluid pump to get fluid in there. Make sure it's Mercon V!

yep I test drove it in the city so i never felt it and the light was never on.

I thnk the car is in overdrive it just seems like it dsnt grab until at high rpms. all of the other gears feel good... any ideas?

How do I check the fluid on these cars?

car uses o/d in the city. again, what did your prepurchase inspection show? any errors? did they find a problem?

the reason i ask: is that a new problem, or were you sold a car with exisiting problem that you knew about?

consider taking it back to the seller...

o/w i'd take it to dealer. let them diagnose it, then take it back to seller. if s/he refuses to take the car back, go to court. that's how i'd roll

Members online

Back