2000 LS Air Bag warning light

Bubba 14

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello. My 2000 LS V-6 just developed an issue. The air bag warning light started flashing then stayed on while driving. At the same time the steering wheel mounted radio volume switches are very erratic in operation, have been doing this for a while. All signs point to a faulty clock spring. Am I wrong to assume this? Only parts available are aftermarket ones. Has anyone had experience with any of these? Car has 88K miles. Will attempt to hook up a code reader to see if I can get any more clues to this issue.

It's a fair assumption. The airbag light is flashing out a diagnostic code while it is flashing. It's a two digit code. You would expect 32 (triple flash, pause, two flashes), open circuit driver's side igniter, or 34, driver's side igniter shorted if it is the clockspring.

Thank You Joegr for the info. Went out and observed my vehicle flashing a 32 code, so the clockspring is the culprit. It looks like my only choice for parts will be aftermarket. Anyone out there have experience with the aftermarket ones?

Just an update. The OEM Ford Blue Box clockspring, P/N XW4Z-14A664-AA is still available! Glad that I did not have to deal with an aftermarket part. Ordered through Sunrise Ford in Fontana for $135.68 plus tax & shipping. Just putting this out as info for anyone else needing one of these.

Members online

Back