2000-02 cluster conversion to 03 and up

Lincoln ave

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever conveted the instrument cluster from a 2000-02 over to a cluster from a 2003 or up? Are all the connections the same?

No you cannot. I did quick search and peeps mention ford changed from OBD11 to a CAN computer system so they will not "talk" to each other.

The only way you can do this is to pull the needles and swap out the faceplates then reinstall the needles.
I put this 1st gen metric faceplate into an extra 03+ cluster.
I decided it was too much trouble to have the dealer marry it to my car so I'm going to put the faceplate into my original cluster.
The needles do a full sweep and reset when you reinstall a cluster so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll be accurate.

103_0925.JPG

The gen 1 cluster looks like any other ford cluster to me, The gen 2 looks a little more classier to me. But I like the Gen 1 steering wheel better than the Gen 2. Did you already install the cluster? Did the needles reset properly?

We put it in the car and the needles did their sweep but in a gen2 the car won't start unless the cluster has been "married" to the car by a ford dealer.
So I can't say if it will be accurate until I put the face plate into my original cluster.
My steering wheel is always tilted down and blocks the mph but not the kph so that's why I want to put in a metric face plate.
The kph will be blocked but not the mph.

No you cannot. I did quick search and peeps mention ford changed from OBD11 to a CAN computer system so they will not "talk" to each other.
Actually they changed from PWM to CAN communication protocol.
It's still OBD2

I was thinking about doing the faceplate overlay, but I think overlaying a gen2 over a gen1 will leave alot of dark spots on the gen2 face. The gen1 is broken up alot and wouldn't allow the light to pass through. Iam leaning towards a new direction now.

Maybe you can find an overlay with it's own power supply.
I had a whiteface 02 inlay in the car for about 3 weeks but didn't ultimately like it.
It had a power supply.

Members online

Back