20'' Daytons on a TC?

12Gage

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they will fit, but will they greatly reduce the "feel" of the car, driving and handling?
I am for the most part set on purchasing Dayton wire wheels for my 94 TC, and I wanted to go big. Maybe it would be smarter to just get some nice looking smaller Daytons, like 18'', or smaller?

How do ya'll feel about Dayton rims and the size on a Town Car?
TY:Beer

wire_wheel_12038_84h.jpg
These are the 20x8 Daytons I was looking at.

go with the 20's. 18's are gonna look to small. The Towncar will easily swallow 20's. And if you buy real dayton's you don't really have to worry about quality or vibration issues. C'mon you know 20's look way better than 18's.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Good luck, but that wire look IMHO is terrible and goofy as hell looking. Go with some nice chrome 18's.
And with the Ford brakes, I can't even imagine trying to clean the brake dust off those things. What a nightmare.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Good luck, but that wire look IMHO is terrible and goofy as hell looking. Go with some nice chrome 18's.
What kind of chrome 18's? Got an example of the look you think is best on a TC?

The Markman is right, that car has a HUGE wheel well. 20's would be sweet. The Kolonges look awsome and would look incredible on a TC.

I think wires look good on select vehicles, it really depends what kind of look you are going for. I had 17" 100 Spoke knockoffs on my '84 Mark VII, I thought they looked good, but I was looking to eventually swap them for some 20's (not spokes), I never had a chance 'cuz some guy totalled it for me. I will tell you that those spokes do require high maintainance to stay clean. Oh yeah, go for the 20's on the TC, they will look kick-ass!

-Joe Michael

If you want to really set your car apart get some 22'' wheels. I've seen them on a few towncars, I think they look sweet, but I'm not sure how that would affect the ride quality. I'm sorry but 18'' are gonna look way too small.

Yo

Vehicle damage results from going too large with rims and too low profile with the tires. The reason is that the engineers factor in how much tire is there when designing the car. The suspension can wear prematurely, and the vehicle turns to a bucket of bolts, unless you do suspension modifications. Don't forget that unless you offset the rim gain properly with the tire, you are changing your gear ratio and then the accuracy of your speedo and odo. I would say 1" bigger rims and 1" lower pro tires is your best bet.

P.S. To quote Motor Trend "unsprung weight gain is the worst kind" Just my opinion.....but too big rims do look sweet!

'04 Aviator - garage car
'02 Impala - daily runner
'84 325 e - limping home

I'm actually going to stick with 16" 's on my LTC when I get them in March. The small look is more O.G. style when it comes to wires. I was going for 13's but, I drive the car way too much. For myself, the BIG-RIMS thing is way too overplayed today.
Down here people like to have 26-28" rims on their rides, I myself think that when a Monte Carlo has the same ground clearence as my stock Dakota, something is very wrong. Low-N-Slow's the way to go!

Jamesineldog

12Gage said:
I am pretty sure they will fit, but will they greatly reduce the "feel" of the car, driving and handling?
I am for the most part set on purchasing Dayton wire wheels for my 94 TC, and I wanted to go big. Maybe it would be smarter to just get some nice looking smaller Daytons, like 18'', or smaller?

How do ya'll feel about Dayton rims and the size on a Town Car?
TY:Beer

wire_wheel_12038_84h.jpg
These are the 20x8 Daytons I was looking at.

HEY MAN, I HAD A 96 DEVILLE AND I HAD 20 INCH WIRES( MINE WERE PLAYER'S THOUGH) MINE WAS EMARALD GREEN WITH A TAN CARRAGE ROOF, THE WHEELS LOOKED ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ON THE CAR, UNFORTUNATELY, THE RIDE QUALITY SUCKED AND YOU WILL CONSTANTLY HAVE TO HAVE ALIGNMENTS, ANOTHER PROBLEM, EVEN ON THE TOWN CAR, IF YOU GO 20'S YOUR GONNA HAVE TO GO WITH A SMALL TIRE, I HAD NITTO EXTREMES, AWESOME TIRES, BUT THE WIRES DO TEN TO BEND EASILY AND THAT MADE FOR AN EXTRA BUMPY RIDE, WIRES ARE NICE CAUSE THEY'RE CHEAP, BUT THEY ARE ONLY FOR LOOKS, NOT EVERYDAY DRIVING, AND THEY WILL COME OFF, I USE TO RETIGHTEN MINE EVERY WEEK, EASY TO DO WITH A HAMMER, YOU CAN HEAR WHEN THE KNOCKOFF COMES LOOSE, I LOVE HOW WIRES LOOK ON LUXURY CRUISERS, 18'S ARE FOR GIRLS MAN, IM FROM THE SOUTH AND WE LIKE THE BIG LOOK, ESPECIALLY ON CADDIES AND LINCOLNS......PEACE

Wire wheels are not for everybody. Also wire wheels themselves don't cause alignment problems. Nor should they come loose all the time.

Alignment problems with wire wheels is caused when you put the wheel on the car. Its because the wheel is jacked up in the air and you are sitting there hitting it as hard as you can with a lead hammer. I'm not an alignment expert but I think when you do this it screws up the alignment. This happend to me once. I was very careful when I got a new car and new wires and I haven't had a problem since. Just get it snug when it is in the air, when its on the ground torque them good with the hammer.

Also the difference between Players and Dayton's is like the difference between a kia and a towncar. There is absolutely no comparison. That is one reason why they cost twice as much as most other wire wheels.

When you get a new set of wires, definetly use a lead hammer to torque them good. Wait 40 or 50 miles and torque them again. They should be good to go. Now if you didn't use a lead hammer and didn't get it torqued down right, they might come loose. And if they come loose once like that and you drive it too long loose, they will probably come loose again. I also have experience with this.

Let me just say that you are going to purchase the best wire wheel on the market. Please don't buy anything less. You will regret it later when they start rusting after only a year. I wish I would have just put up the money for some Daytons.

go to cardomain,com, and check out all the towcars on there, there are plenty with 20's...then you decide what you want...

Members online

No members online now.
Back