2 small cats

I know if I got rid of them my car sound little bit better and even if there high flowing as it is, a pipe is alot less restrictive then a high flowing cat, I would think id get better mileage and maybe 10-15 hp im guessing, idk.

95Marklll(Kingcobra) said:
What gains will I have with removing the 2 small cats?

i dont know if u will get any gains... but u will not get a check engine light and u will not have a problem passing emissions either. As long as u keep the main cat on there or replace that one with a high flow one.

gangstaMK8 said:
i dont know if u will get any gains... but u will not get a check engine light and u will not have a problem passing emissions either. As long as u keep the main cat on there or replace that one with a high flow one.

You mean removing the third cat and resonator you will pass emissions, if you remove the other two cat's you will fail I believe.

Ricksquickviii said:
You mean removing the third cat and resonator you will pass emissions, if you remove the other two cat's you will fail I believe.

No the "third cat" is actually the main cat at least on a 94 it is the biggest one on the car. The smaller 2 cats which are no bigger than a football can be removed. The 2 small cats on the car u cant get a aftermarket high flow cat but the main one u can.

gangstaMK8 said:
No the "third cat" is actually the main cat at least on a 94 it is the biggest one on the car. The smaller 2 cats which are no bigger than a football can be removed. The 2 small cats on the car u cant get a aftermarket high flow cat but the main one u can.

normal_Misc-Word.jpg

You won't see any noticeable improvements. Just leave them so you don't piss away your time and money.

The two cats on both exhaust manifolds leave, the third one is the by the resonator, so i would pull the resonater and the third cat next too resonator, and replace them with xx pipes!

Calabrio said:
Won't you get the CHECK ENGINE warning?

No, not for the 95's and below. The post and pre cat O2's didn't start until OBD-II (96 and up). The OBD-I's just have the pre cat O2's which only monitor quality of combustion for the air/fuel mixture

i still have all 3 of my cats on my car but no one said there was any thing in them. i punched them out and picked up a little power ill say maby 5-6 hp but i also got about 4-5 better MPG wich is a big plus running high oct fuel

The first cats after the manifolds are the main cats. That's why they are monitored on the 96+. If the primaries "didn't matter," it seems to me that they wouldn't have O2's before and after them to moniter them. At least that's what I have come to understand here. Either way, on pre-96 it seems that it wouldn't matter. The third cat is not monitored so it seems to me that it wouldn't matter if you remove it.

The rear "o2 sensors" are not really O2 sensors. Their purpose is to monitor the health of the catalyst in the catalytic converters.

If you remove the cats on an OBDII car, you will get a check engine light. Ofcourse, that can be turned off with a tuner, or a module (well, two of them) that will plug into the Rear sensor plug harness, and will fool the computer into thinking the cats are still there.

The modules can be had from Caspers electronics. Or was it Casper electronics. Either way, there are options if you remove the main cats.

I got some MIL elminators a while back when I was planning on gutting my cats but never really got around to it. I don't really know how or if they work but I got them for next to nothing so I figured what the hey.

The two small cats are called "warm up cats" They are right near the exhaust manifolds so that they will easily become hot shortly after starting the engine, they then cause the main cat to become hotter faster. This allows the emissions to be within goverment standards much faster. If I were you I would leave them in place. You will not see much if any gains by removing them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back