1996 Lincoln Continental JBL Sound system questions... Specs? CD? Amps? Subwoofers?

roger200x

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my 96 Continental and it came with the Premium JBL Sound system with cd changer in center console, mobile phone, etc..

From what Ive been reading the car has 4 door speakers and 3 "subwoofers" in the rear deck which I've confirmed in my car. I guess the "Premium" system only had the 2 outside "subs" while the "Premium JBL" had a third center "sub" and a second subwoofer amplifier.

The reason Im saying "sub" is that they are like 6x9 or 6x8 speakers with the high frequencies cut off and they only play the low bass notes.

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone know the stock factory door amp output wattage?

2. Does anyone know the stock factory 2 outside subwoofers amp output wattage?

3. Does anyone know the stock factory third center subwoofers amp output wattage?

4.Does anyone know the stock factory "subwoofer" sizes for sure? Ive read 6x9, 6x8, 5x7 so far and without taking them out theres no way for me to know for sure.

5. Has anyone put in an aftermarket cd player? I know the factory "radio" doesnt have an amplifier... it only outputs low preamp wattage to the factory rear amp for the door speakers.... Im wondering how it sounds with factory amp using line level outputs on an aftermarket cd player... or if I should just bypass the amp and put in a higher output 52wx4 channel sony cd player. I guess this also depends on how many watts the factory amp throws out...which I still dont know lol

Thanks!

Have you checked in the owners manual to see if they put any of that information in there? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the door speakers are making about 25-30W RMS x 4 and maybe 50-60W for the subs, that is assuming all 3 (I thought it was just 2 subs)are the same sizes. I think they're 6x9 but if I was you, I would contact the people at crutchfield.com, and then ask them if they know the size since they deal with many cars to know what stereos/speaker and subs fits in specific vehicles. What are you going for? Louder, crisper vocals or just the whole works.

I did look in there and didn't see anything but I only skimmed....

There are 3 subs in mine and on some ford publications I have it says the JBL stereos added another sub along with the premium 2 subwoofers. All premium had 2 and the jbl had 3... That's what ford/Lincoln is saying anyways lol.

Really, when you get a chance, just pull the clips holding the carpet lining out of the top of the trunk, and get a nice look of the wiring/subs, because I'm mostly reading people with jbl saying there are only 2, but they/I could be wrong. What do you want to do, just add an aftermarket head unit?

I did just that, pulled everything apart and alas, there are only 2 jbl 6x9 subs. Lol I was on a for tech site (friends a tech lol) and it said there should be three with jbl but I think they just worded it wrong, I went back and read it twice more and it says jbl adds another sub... Oh well...

I'm thinking DVD screen for road trips, 5 channel amp for new door speakers and new 6x9s to replace factory subs and a mono block sub amp for a single 12 or 10 sub in the trunk... Hell maybe a 15 lol.

The FIRST thing I did was rip out that fkn cell phone module so it stops beeping at me when the radio is turned on saying phone connected ... Hated that lol.

Haha, So it is only 2? I had a pioneer double-din in my last 02 continental and loved it, but they don't have harnesses for dd head units for continentals, so mine wasn't secured in. I mean, It can be done, but you just gotta get creative and customize a little or pay a lot. If you're going to put in a 12 or 15" sub don't even bother putting 6x9 subs in there, instead you should either put 2 extra speakers or leave those holes empty an use them as ports so the bass can travel right into the car. That's what I'm contemplating. I have one 12" and my stock speakers are started to crackle at high volume, and they are doo to begin with, so I'm just waiting till they get unbearable to change all of them at once. 15" is real nice, but I'm good with my 12". I have another 12", but didn't feel like having 2 of them in the trunk since one does a good enough job. Haha, I never heard of that cell phone thing, sounds like it's just as bad as the seat belt chimer.

The 96 is only 1.5 DIN do I was thinking flip out screen... I'm not cutting into the dash with a sawzall lol...

Oh yah the cell phone thing... It would make a phone noise like pressing on/off on an old school bag phone when you turn the car on every time and radio wouldn't play until it did it... Retarded ... eBay here comes my cell phone unit lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back