1994 Lincoln Continental few problems

T

tiks

few problems that i need to get some help with, thought someone on here might be able to help me out. i just got this car its in overall good condition but i have noticed these fews

the air ride suspention seems to be just completely shot, the car bottoms out on the slightest dips at low speeds.

"low oil" indicator on the dash says theres low oil after driving for about 20mins and when i turn off the car it will say its back to normal (even after i topped it off because of the leaking)
there is a slow oil leak that over time is noticeable

i think its the compressor cycling (im not sure but from reading here i think that is what it is) well anyways it goes on and off pumping air and sometimes will go on when the key is in but the car isnt turned on and when i opend the hood it was sakeing and looked like it just about pulled itself out of the mount

if the original air struts are still on the car, they need probably need replacing.. get ready for sticker shock, they are not cheap.

the low oil indicator can be a few things, not all related to the actual oil level, but the fact that you indicate you have a leak, that needs fixin first. then the oil level problem may go away (maybe not, as there are several reasons for the sensor to trigger). Once the oil leak is stopped, if its still happening, there are possibly plugged oil returns in the cylinder heads (usually caused by poor maintainance allowing sludge to build up), sludge in the pan affecting the level sensor, or an electrical problem outside the engine.

the air compressor does shake a fair amount normally, its mounted in 3 rubber mounts to isolate the vibration from the car. it is also normal to have it run occasionally for up to an hour after you shut off ignition, and leave the car (open and close at least one door). However, if your having problems with the air struts, you will probably burn out the compressor in short order, they dont last long trying to keep leaky air struts filled up.

any more questions, feel free to ask!

would the air ride suspention make the ride control indicator beep.

also i had a few other questions

when i turn the steering wheel it make a almostly like idling sound that that changes as a turn the wheel, does anyone know what could cause that. i checked the power steering fluid and it looked fine.

how much does it cost to get a converter kit and could i possiablely sell the old air ride suspention system/pump.

yup, various failures of the air suspension will cause the indicator to light.

The sound when you turn the wheel could be a couple things. you say fluid is full, thats good. what condition is it?? if its full of air bubbles (it happens) that could cause noise. A failing pump can make noise, and are not real expensive (60 bucks or so If I remember correctly) and not too tough to change out. a fluid flush might be in order too. The fluids dont last forever on any car, and your working with one thats more than 10 yrs old.

Coil conversions are avail, and price/quality varies. there are a couple vendors here on the website you can check into. Eddie (I think is the right name) at American Air comes highly recommended. I have not converted my 91, I am still riding on a cloud, so I cannot comment on ride change. If your struts are good (no leaks and the shock assy's work properly), there is no reason to get rid if the air suspension in my opinion, as those are by far the most expensive part of the system to repair/replace.

You can sell the old parts if you convert, but depending on condition, you might not get much back out of them.

thank you,

today i was trying to take out the digital dash and i noticed it had a stick on it that stated it was made it the middle of 2002. does lincoln still make these digital dashs?

dont know if they are still made, but it they may be still reman'd by ford (or someone contracted by ford).

The date on my dash (my car is a 91) was 96 I think. dont remember for sure, but it was a few years after assy of the car.

i just had a few more questions if anyone on here could help me out,

my engine has very poor acceleration, but it does get up to speed. what could be some causes of this.

and does anyone know of to take apart the rear seat, i cant find any levers, but i do see 3 the metal bars holding the backrest in place.

From Technical Service CD

Seat Cushion, Rear

Removal

1. Apply knee pressure to lower front portion of the rear seat cushion. Push rearward to disengage seat cushion from rear seat cushion front retainer (63370).

NOTE:
The armrest is an integral part of the quarter trim panel. Its removal is not required to remove rear seat cushion or back.

2. Remove seat cushion from vehicle.

Installation

1. Position seat cushion assembly into vehicle.

2. Place safety belts on top of cushion.

3. Apply knee pressure to lower portion of seat cushion assembly. Push rearward and down to lock seat cushion into position.

4. Pull rear seat cushion forward to ensure it is secured into its rear seat cushion front retainer.

===================================================

Seat Back, Rear

Removal

1. Remove rear seat cushion as outlined.

2. Remove seat back bracket retaining screws.

NOTE:
Safety belt bolts do not secure seat back to vehicle.

3. Grasp seat back assembly at bottom and lift up to disengage hanger wire from retainer brackets.

Installation

1. Position seat back in vehicle so that hanger wires are engaged with retaining brackets.

2. Install seat back screws and tighten to 4.3-6.3 N-m (39-55 lb-in).

3. Install rear seat cushion as outlined.

===========================================

You might be able to get it out with out removing the bottom, I'm assuming removing the bottom makes it easier to get at the bolts and to pull the seat out

yup, lots easier to remove the seat bottom first. not to mention, it in itself is very easy to remove. you never know, you may find some $$ (change anyway) under the seat!

what does 'CO' on the dash, it shows up to the right of the gas level

Diagnostic Bars

When only top two and bottom two bars appear on the fuel gauge, these are the diagnostic bars.<<(do you also see this also on the dash?)

The diagnostic bars appearing on the fuel bar gauge also have a "CS" or a "CO" display. The "CS" display indicates there is a short circuit or the fuel sender unit resistance is too low. The "CO" display indicates there is an open circuit or the fuel sender unit resistance is too high.

It probably means you fuel sending unit is dying/dead/stuck or there's a bad connection somewhere between the sending unit and dcl.

so how do i go about fixing this problem, i just changed the fuel filter, but this problem was happening before i changed it, now it seems to be happing more.

1st thing.. do you have ANY other errors displayed on the dash (such as check DCL). if you have a check DCL, you need to get that done first, it is a potential cause of the CO also.

If thats all good, then the 1st place to look is the connections on the fuel tank. you will need to drop the tank some for that job. check the electrical connections on the top, and the grounds as well.

another little problem, my driver side window fell off track, i think i know how it happend, a lever got loose because a bolt wasnt tightened that good, well i tried to pull it back in place and tighten the bolt but the window is still off track do i need to remove the glass and readjust it or is there a tick to it, i can see the the glass closest to the mirror apeers to be off track...

many times there are plastic rollers in the window lift mechanism that wear out/crumble. while I havn't had to take my doors apart to work on the windows (yet), i am pretty sure they are there. Town Car window mechanisms are notorious for the gears in the motor failing (plastic, but your motor apears to be working ok), and the rollers failing. I believe you can get these rollers at most parts stores too (look in the 'help' section, lots of strange/weird stuff there).

Make sure the rollers (or they may be plastic blocks that slide) are good, or you wont be able to get the window on track properly.

rollers failing, do you have any pictures or guides, i dont understand

Members online

No members online now.
Back