1994 Continental Executive Series. with a few issues

ketyokeinnor

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 94 Continental. I am very happy with the car overall.

The main problem is the other day i was driving along when the speedo dropped to zero, and the car downshifted hard. It seems to do it more and more each time i drive it. I think it may be a failing vehicle spped sensor, but i'm not quite sure. I don't think the hard shifts are good for the trans so i want to get this fixed up as soon as possible.

A less important problem is I have 2 broken rear power lock actuators(very grindy). Can any one tell me how to attach replacements, they seem to be riveted in. Removal seems easy, but replacement on the other hand...

I think thats all the questions I have at the moment.

yup, sounds like the VSS is going on ya (vehicle speed sensor)... its a good idea to replace the drive gear/shaft for the sensor while you have it out, as the gear sometimes wears funny and can cause the same symptoms.

I havn't replaced any lock motors, but I would imagine drill out the rivits and use some short bolts/nuts to hold them in. thats what a lot of the Town Car people do for their cars

I forgot to add, my 91 does the same thing, and its actually getting more reliable the more I drive it. BUT my car was parked for 9 months recently and I think the sensor/drive gear got gummed up/sticky

do you know if the gear/shaft is included with the sensor when bought new from somewhere like Autozone? or is it a separate thing to ask for?

Could you show me a picture / diagram of where the sensor is located, i can't seem to find it. I know it sounds stupid but i looked for several hours. i've prolly been staring right at it all day. Its not in my Chilton repair manual either, all it has is the ABS speed sensors on each wheel.:mad:

Thanks for your help!!!

All my car's issues have been dealt with, now she runs fine. Thanks for all your help.

Please post the fix so that others might benefit from your labors.
Thanks

Ok, no prob.

"Easy" VSS Replacement

Ok for starters, if you don't have access to a grage(with lift) i suggest not trying this one. I did it in a shop with the help of a mechanic(my girlfriend's dad). I tired it in my driveway and well, failed...

We needed to replace the VSS(vehicle speed sensor)($14.95 @ Pep Boys is the best price i found)in my 94 Cont Exe. Its located on the back of the transaxle, on the right side of the engine compartment, behind the exhaust manifold.(Not a simple place to reach). A real easy way we found was to:
1.get the car on a lift
2.put a trans jack under the engine transaxle assembly
3.remove the rear bolts from the front sub frame and lower it 6-8 inches.
4.Next we unbolted the steering rack and used a piece of wood to lift it out of the way(back near its original position).
5.After that just remove the sensor's heat sheild,
6.unplug, unbolt and replace it,
7.Reassemble the car, in reverse order.

Door Lock Actuators
found some cheap ones
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-010&raid=55&rak=330-010
$3.50ea- Got a pair for my rear doors, and so far working excellent, if anything too powerful

1.take off door panel
2.drill out rivit holding in old one
2a. Cut linkage to doorlock mechanism leaving on as much as you can
3.remove the old one
4.screwed the new to the inside of the door(most accessible location[big hands])
5. cut off old connector and wired it up
6. connect new linkage to the old linkage with supplied hardware
7. Test to insure proper wiring/linkage adjustment
8. reinstall door panel

Great. Now I'll know if my VSS does the same thing!

As for the door locks, how long did it take to arrive? I'm without a lock at the moment (I unplugged mine because the noise was unbearable)
Can you hear a difference between the doors when locking? IE is this actuator louder?

Thanks!

Not long at all...ordered them on a friday night...they shipped(UPS) out monday morning, got here wednesday afternoon...IL to PA

the whole process is slightly louder(could be cause now i have 4 doors locking instead of 2), but wayyyy better than the grinding before.:) i can't hear a difference between the doors

-Ron-

Too bad those guys wont ship the actuator to canada without a minimum purchase of 50$
Not much of a savings then.
I'll look around and see if I can find a canadian wholesaler.

Members online

No members online now.
Back