1993 Lincoln TownCar Project

exile

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, I posted this in suspension but screwed it up, closed the browser by mistake, so I'm posting here.
I'm looking at a 1992 Executive Series TownCar, no rust (needs paint), minor body work needed on a door ($100.), needs tires, excellent interior, 166,000 miles on a 4.6 motor that seems to purr like a cat except it's burning a little oil. The guy says the shop said it needed seals but if it needed seals it wouldn't burn oil, it would leak oil, correct? Anyway, he's asking $1,000 and I'm tempted. What do you guys think? Good project car or not?.......Tom

More pics upon request

Pictures%2F2004%5F0405Image0014.JPG

hmmm ask yourself this. if the engine goes tomorrow - are you still happy with it? Also you got a red x.... click the little pic box on top of the reply box to add a pic you already have on the web -- or use the "upload photo" button below the box to upload a pic from your HD

Last edited:
The valve seals being bad will not cause any visible leakage. It will just seem like it burns the oil. If you let the car sit at idle for a few mins then accelerate and you see blue smoke- that is a key indicator that the valve seals are bad. On a Ford 4.6L engine thats about an $1100 fix. Valve seals going bad on Ford panther cars is a very common problem. Another thing is that when you accelerate at high speeds you may notice valve rattle comming from under the hood. If you use higher octane gas you may not notice it for a while but it will get worse.

If the price is right buy it. But you can find a '92 in pretty decent condition with good paint and body for about $3000.

OK, I'll try the pic again. Isn't there an "edit" feature here. Anyway, I forgot to ask, if the air suspension blows a fuse every few days, other than a dead short what might it be?
And Joey, of course if the motor fell out tomorrow I wouldn't be happy, I wouldn't be happy if it happened with any car I bought, so I'm not sure that question works, but except for the oil thing it seems to run good. I'm going to get it out on the road in a day or two and see how that feels. I'm still looking for someone to confirm or not my suspicion that if a car is "burning" oil (and I can see some blue smoke on a cold start rev), and not leaking oil, then it's more apt to be rings instead of seals. Am I correct or am I missing something. The guy said the shop told him it needed seals :confused:
Thanks for your replies........Tom
Now I see the edit thingy

post Lincoln.jpg

Last edited:
It looks good from this angle.....

I didnt so much mean happy - but with 166k, you have to assume thats a good possibility - so what if it does? Are you willing to drop another engine in it? Some cars are in good enough condition that you dont mind investing a few grand on a new engine cause the car itself will last and last and make the investment worth it.

15 quarts of oil per year x $1.50 a quart gets you pretty far along. Drive it, get some use out of it and if it dies, it dies. I know a guy whose '90 TC has been dead for 3 years but he is still driving it with 300K on it.

LOL is that the wifes car?

MonsterMark said:
15 quarts of oil per year x $1.50 a quart gets you pretty far along. Drive it, get some use out of it and if it dies, it dies. I know a guy whose '90 TC has been dead for 3 years but he is still driving it with 300K on it.

IF the 30amp fuse under the hood keeps blowing it means the compressor is being over worked. This is being cause by a leak in the bags. The bags need to be replaced. Should you not fix the problem the compressor will burn up. Having the bags replaced at a shop can average $600. Should your compressor go out thats even more money. DO NOT replace the 30amp fuse with a higher amp fuse or a str8 wire it.. This can and has been known to cause fires. To actually test the air bags for leaks turn off the air susp system by the switch in the trunk. Drive the car around for a while and then see if the car has dropped any. If it has dropped a bit then there is a definate leak. The 92 and 93 model years are also known to have issues with line leakage just before the "Y" split of the nylon air line rubbing on the cross member.

Judging by your symptoms and my experiance with TC's I would say the valve seals need to be replaced.

These are common problems for the age of the vehicle. The air springs are at about the right age of needing to be replaced as well as the valve seals which to my understanding is an issue by the 110k mile mark.

May I add that the valve seal issue will not cause you any major problems other than smoke and accessive consumption of oil as well as valve rattle. It is something that will require attention at some point though.

My father is experiancing the same problem with his '95 CV (w/120k miles) which is going in the shop on Thursday. It's gonna run him about $900.

If you take your car to a shiop to get it inspected make sure you take it to a Ford authorised machanic. These cars contain certain things that need special attention paid to them that only people with experiance working on them know about.

Last edited:
You gotta understand about those lincoln fans man. If I have that 96 cartier ive been hunting for and the engine blew up tomorrow i would still be happy i could sit in it with the radio on for a about an hour every few days. But im a little too much into lincolns.

Big Joe

Pepsi2185 said:
You gotta understand about those lincoln fans man. If I have that 96 cartier ive been hunting for and the engine blew up tomorrow i would still be happy i could sit in it with the radio on for a about an hour every few days. But im a little too much into lincolns.

Big Joe

Haha, I'm the same way.
:Beer

Thanks JA, I'll take that into consideration. I'm really undecided weather I want to project this car. God knows I have enough to do without another car to tinker with. Seems I have an obsession about working on a car project. We'll see and I'll let you know. Thanks again..........Tom

exile said:
Thanks JA, I'll take that into consideration. I'm really undecided weather I want to project this car. God knows I have enough to do without another car to tinker with. Seems I have an obsession about working on a car project. We'll see and I'll let you know. Thanks again..........Tom

Your welcome.

BTW- love your avatar. :D

If it were me -- based on what you've said and the one pic, I might just go for it.

With a TC that has 251,000+ miles on it, in my opinion, I'd buy the car... The valve seals do need to be replaced, as well as the air bags, due to air leaks. Other than that, it looks okay from the picture. As with any car though you do want to get it checked out. :cool:

Thanks for your opinions on this guys, I'll let you know if I go for it........Tom

PLease do - I would love to see a step by step repro with pics!

exile said:
Thanks for your opinions on this guys, I'll let you know if I go for it........Tom

Joeychgo said:
Please do - I would love to see a step by step repro with pics!

If your looking for a restoration project I gotta '87 TC which could use some restoring. I'll sell it for $800. :D

Hi exile

A 93 Town Car with Turbines :p awesome, it's gotta be worth it just for the Turbines. :)

Regards

Dereck

So did you ever get those valve seals replaced? I'm having the same problem and also being advised to replace them.

personally I would pass on the executive series. There are plenty of Signatures out there that don't cost too much money. It seems to need a lot of work too. Something I wouldn't fight with.

thamarkman said:
personally I would pass on the executive series. There are plenty of Signatures out there that don't cost too much money. It seems to need a lot of work too. Something I wouldn't fight with.

I'd have to agree. The Executive series is a real "base car" vs. the Signature, and at that age, they're pretty much the same price-wise. Also remember that the Executive is the generally the one used for livery services and that means ABUSE!

Members online

No members online now.
Back