1991 Lincoln Town Car seeking OBD 1 codes

wizzard1222

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 'new' 1991 Lincoln Town Car that is showing a fairly constant 'check engine code' after running the vehicle for a short time frame. I am seeking a way to check the engine codes.

I have flushed & changes most all of the the fluids...check the hoses & belts. It's running a smooth idle & on the road power...nothing noticable to be conserned with except the 'check engine' lite ...

AutoZone did not have the old alum. keys but I happen to find two from an earlier vehicle archive bucket of trinkets.
I just don't remember the procedure to read the codes...but I think it's just insert the alum key...turn on the ignition key...count the beeps !!! I think that will work...I'll try that...

However, how do I find the resulting beep count "codes"?

All help would be appreciated...

Last edited:
Any one have thoughts about installing a power steering filter in that loop? This 'new' Lincoln probably had about 100 miles of usage for each of the last 10 years...many of the fluids were extremely dirty looking...that's the reason that I decided to change most everything. The power steering fluid was extremely dark red...no odor...so I drained it & used compressed air to help flush the old fluid...I figure this is a minor concern but installing a filter might catch old impurities???

I am planning on changing the ATF fluid & filter as well as the fuel filter to 'freshen' these areas as well.

Any other suggestions are also welcomed & will be appreciated...

O'rillys has obd 1 scanners
you should just flush out the power steering with new fluid till its clean then top off.
change ALL fluids even the diff. Do a flush as well as filter change for the trans. this way you change all the fluids not just whats in the pan.
Its also nice to change the break fluid but you can wait till you change them
DO a tune up
I always recommend a shift kit for the tranny as well (if its working right that is)
form becontrols.com

OBD 1 codes

I found the check engine lite code info. from a few other thread leading to "fordfuelinjetion.com". The 1991 Lincoln does not have a OBD connector under the dash.

Under the hood there are two separate 'Self-Test Input' (STI's) located on the finder shields.

So I am off to give them a try.

On the power steering fluid change, I did that w/using compressed air. Most of the old dark red fluid was flushed out after 2 cycles. I was considering an inline filter via a small gasoline unit but stopped that line of thought. I found a company, Cardone, that is promoting a new filter that has an inline 1 inch magnetic filter. They are snail mailing me 1 unit since I could not find it in several auto supply store. I think that will be fine for this 1991 'white ghost' !

Members online

No members online now.
Back