1988 Town Car Assorted Issues

ClothNotLeather

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an 88 Towncar with a disconnected hose. I think it goes to the charcoal canister near the front, but am not positive and don't want to hook it up wrong. I'm also smelling gasoline after I fuel up the car for a few hours. Could these two problems be related?

I recently replaced the AC cycling switch which solved the intermittent cycling of the AC. Now it is ICE cold. Not a question just putting the info out there for anyone whose Lincoln's AC is cycling on and off.

I replaced the stock 215 70 r15 tires with 225 75 R15 because I think it looks a bit better higher up and after having owned many RWD Cadillacs, those cars took those tires with no issues. However, I'm experiencing a bit of rubbing on the fender trim in the front and wonder if anyone knows if front end lift springs might give the tires a bit more space?

The wheels are lacey-spoke aluminum wheels and are in nice shape, but wonder if anyone has found a reliable aluminum wheel cleaner that doesn't stain or mar the wheels? Has anyone found anyone who makes new center caps for these wheels? Or will later years wheels center caps fit?

The windows in the back are messing up and don't go down. It's strange because they have almost never been used. I've heard this is almost universal with this car. I hear a grinding noise, and suspect the motors work, but when looking for parts I see only window motors available and not regulators? Could the grinding be the motor itself? They begin to droop an inch or so and wonder if they have come loose from the regulator or if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it?

And lastly, I've got the cambria cloth roof. Drying it with towels never works because the towels shed on the cloth. I've taken to using a bristle brush and shampoo and just rinsing it and letting it air dry. Has anyone found any really good method to clean this type of roof safely and effectively?

Thanks for all your time and input! These Lincolns (especially with the cloth interior) seem to be holding up better than Cadillacs of the same vintage. And the smooth ride literally can't be beat!

Members online

No members online now.
Back