1987 Town car ?????

Benny Craig

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Any help here is greatly appreciated. i gotta 87 town car. she started actin up by cutting off and not wanting to start. long story short i've pin pointed the culprit to be with in the emergency fuel pump resest switch. but not sure if it's the switch or the sensor or somewhere in between. i guess my ? is what sensors and where does this thing get set off from. i read its supposed to shut off the fuel pump in case of a colision. please any help would be great.
thanks
ben

ps just picked up a 92 sedan deville. any one have much problems with those???

:V

Well see what happens is say first thing in the morning she will start fine drive her a while then out of no where she will cut off. like a smooth u didnt know it cut off cut off. then it will not start. after a while it will start or after i unplug and plug back in the fuel pump cut off switch in the trunk it will start. then it may not happen again for a day or two. or it may happen again with in minutes. so im not sure if its the switch it self or is it the sensor that sets it off or somewhere in between. cant find a wiring diagram or anything. not sure where the sensor is. waiting till monday so i can get a new reset switch from the dealer. im 90% sure the problem lays in the cut of system some where.

ps
that MarkVII looks nice u got there.

Benny Craig said:
ps
that MarkVII looks nice u got there.
Thanks, it was a lot of work. You're not to far from me, you should come see it sometime. ;)

Can you pull codes? Try that if you are still having trouble.

The switch in the trunk is activated by inertia. The amount of inertia caused in a rear end collision. Kind like a seatbelt actuator system, but not.

Okay got a little code scanner for my self. got codes 12 and 14. so i said f@#( it and got a new dist., ign module, cap & rotor. she's been fine so far. i think it was the stator that went bad. but the dist gear was hangin onto the shaft for dear life and didnt want to come off. so she hasnt cutt off yet but since it was sparatic then it may take a day or two to tell if that fixed it.

Those ignition modules have been known to leave people stranded anyway, you might as well change it. Let us know how it goes.

Members online

Back