1984 Mark VII Starting Problem

Mark VII '84

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an "84 Mark VII that runs fine when cool but as engine warms up to normal operating temperature it will stall. When you try to start it again it will not start unless you use starting fluid. The pressure valve at the top of the throttle body if depressed shoots out fuel so I don't think it is the fuel pump. If anyone has any suggestions as to the cause of the problem I sure would appreciate it, Thanks!:)

Mark VII '84 said:
I have an "84 Mark VII that runs fine when cool but as engine warms up to normal operating temperature it will stall. When you try to start it again it will not start unless you use starting fluid. The pressure valve at the top of the throttle body if depressed shoots out fuel so I don't think it is the fuel pump. If anyone has any suggestions as to the cause of the problem I sure would appreciate it, Thanks!:)
Hi.
Sounds like your EGR system needs to be cleaned.
1984EGR_002.jpg

1984EGR_003.jpg

1984EGR_013.jpg

Checked EGR valve and very little carbon build up inside, in fact EGR looks fairly new. Do you have any other suggestions?

Runs cold but not hot?

Mine would stall at stop lights till I unplugged the EGR electrical connector. I'd check 1) spark 2) fuel pumps - CFI (two injectors in the throttle body) has two fuel pumps one in the tank and one inline on the frame, fuel filter. Sounds more like a fuel issue to me.
RT:confused:

Mark VII '84 said:
Checked EGR valve and very little carbon build up inside, in fact EGR looks fairly new. Do you have any other suggestions?
This was also "very little carbon build up".

1984EGR_002.jpg

Did you completely remove all three parts of the EGR assembly? Whatever you see ~there~ can also be on your intake valves, causing them not to seat. Poor seating means poor compression and back fires and misfires.

Add one 16 ounce can of Seafoam to a five gallon can of gasoline. Run your 1984 until it is completely out of gas. Add the fuel/Seafoam mixture to the tank and start. If you get white smoke, then repeat just before your next fill up.

Try any of these suggestions and report back your findings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back