1970 Coupe Deville Electrical Problem (Wiring Harness)

G_NICE

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1970 Coupe Deville seems to be having electrical problems. The vents wont blow, none of the locks work, the battery is draining. My mechanic says this is probably the engine wiring harness?

If I recall correctly Cadillac USA parts supply carries replacement harnesses for that vintage Cadillac. That will save you a bundle over the dealer cost, if the dealer can even get one. The symptoms you describe sound like the harness is either shorted or wearing out. It may also be corroding. When the wiring overheats, the juice pauses on some items like windows, power top, etcetera.

Replacing a wiring harness is a pretty intense job. The key is to mark the various wires and systematically figure out where you want to start. It may be simpler to buy the harness and find a mechanic who will install it for you.

Good luck! The 1970 is a nice Cadillac tank.

my advise to you is find an auto electrion shop not the stupid dealer,hes forgot more than hes learned,the power windows work off 2 feeds,1}battery an 2}iginition,the older cads had a breaker to run them i beleve in the fuse box,that is an easy fix,providing you have good switches,if not yr local parts store mite have them or a cady club is yr only hope,theres not a whole lot of wires in those cars to go bad,mostly the switches or motors,also ck the wires that go in the door post,gm was bad about that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back