1961-1967 Continental Questions

Riot Racing

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a daily driver. Do you think these year lincolns are reliable daily drivers?
Whats the gas mileage that everyone is getting?
what is the differences between the bodies of these years?
Do all these years come with power windows? locks?

What should i look for when buying someone else ride?
thanks,
Bigman

i have a 1964 continental i drive a good bit.they are not economy cars.gas
mileage on a good tune up for me is 12-15 around town.1961-1964 has a 1piece front end with a reverse opening hood, 65-69 front ends had more of a
recessed grill and a header panel that overhung the grill,63 has a big recess
in the decklid with a trim panel inside. Most all have power windows, locks work on vaccum.1965 was the year they went to a front disc brake although
you can convert earlier models.they are pretty nice cars to drive.I would suggest converting points to electronic ignition if you using as a daily driver.
the stock drum brakes on my '64 are power and work ok though they dont stop like a newer car with anti-lock brakes.

Hope this helps

Buy the Gen 1. The later cars will never have the value of the 61 - 64s...and they just don't look "right".

(gen 2)
1966-67lincolnpurple379.jpg

(gen1)
63_Lincoln.jpg

These are 40 year old cars. Your best bet is to buy a car that is in very good cosmetic shape (especially the glass, the base metal (forget the paint) and the chrome, especially the chrome) but barely runs.

Then jerk the original motor/trans (don't discard....just set it aside) and drop in a 1995 or newer Ford truck engine.... a 302 would be perfect. You'll have more performance and bulletproof reliability.

Use the original AC/heat controls but gut the rest of the system - and be prepared to have chronic window problems till you buck out for rebuilds or modern replacement mechanisms.

Door and trunk key and lock mechanisms are also made of unobtainium.... good to get a pretty intact body from say.... North Texas.... and go from there.

A great recent set of articles on the joy of a vintage driver is a series of 1956 or so Cadillac articles in last fall's road and track magazine.

Seriously, if you're looking for a bargain vintage driver.... get a boat.... super-clean late 70s TCs are still available around $3500... and they don't need virtually everything.... but get a good one.... 30 years is forever to a car.

Here's a picture of an example.... 1977 MB 450... 68,000 miles....
thousands of hours of searching.... I paid under $4000 for it.

P1010111.jpg

This car, with proper storage, frequent low-mileage use and proper freshening, is as reliable as a new one. You can find Lincolns like this....if you're patient.

Make sure the car you buy has been driven regularly. Cars die with disuse.

I think all 60's Cont's are very nice. Most of them come with power everything, well power everything from the times. You might even get lucky and find one with a 8 Track player.

Members online

No members online now.
Back