18*9 30mm wheels?

lincolnboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i now the offset is suppose to be 36mm. for me to fit a 30mmoffset wheel what do i have to do to fit a 295/ or 285/ 35/18tires and have it tuck tire. if i need a spacer what size spacer (note i can custom make a space to cut the cost of spacer) would i need. if i need to take more offset off how much.

lincolnboy said:
i now the offset is suppose to be 36mm. for me to fit a 30mmoffset wheel what do i have to do to fit a 295/ or 285/ 35/18tires and have it tuck tire. if i need a spacer what size spacer (note i can custom make a space to cut the cost of spacer) would i need. if i need to take more offset off how much.

You don't need a spacer, you need the opposite of a spacer! A spacer would push the wheel OUT towards the fender. What you need is more positive offset. This will help "tuck" the wheel back in towards the car by mounting it further from the centerline (+ offset). My 20x8.5s are 43mm offset and they just barely tuck a 245/40/20. There's a lot of room there for tires, but most of it is towards the inside of the car.

Since a 9" wheel is a half inch wider, you would need even MORE offset. Even if you had 43mm offset on a 9" wheel, a 245mm tire would stick out a quarter inch further on both sides (5." divided by two = .25").

A 9 inch wheel would need something around 65+mm offset in order to fit a big fat 295 under the back end of a Mark VIII. This is starting to push the mounting point of the wheel so far out that I doubt it would be safe.

Note that I'm talking about dumping the car down so the tires do actually tuck. Many people are running 275s on the back of Mark VIIIs on 17 and 18 inch wheels. If you ran a 35 series tire, I think you would be fine, but I know a lot of people have had problems with the tires rubbing with 275/40/18s.

Kale

Damn, those are some wide tires. Why are you going so wide? I think a 50 would be at the right height if you talking 17" rim. 40 for a 18" rim. (Thats to keep it at the right height) If your stock tire is a 60 16.

Sifrino3 said:
Damn, those are some wide tires. Why are you going so wide? I think a 50 would be at the right height if you talking 17" rim. 40 for a 18" rim. (Thats to keep it at the right height) If your stock tire is a 60 16.

o gee sif, why would i wanna keep in stock height, screw that im a rebel. hhahahahahahah, so kale or any one bout how much could i machine off the back of the wheel and is it safe to do so.

lincolnboy said:
o gee sif, why would i wanna keep in stock height, screw that im a rebel. hhahahahahahah, so kale or any one bout how much could i machine off the back of the wheel and is it safe to do so.

That was exactly my dilemma when I was trying to fit the 275s under my car. I took the wheel to a machine shop and they advised against it on my particular wheel. I opted to keep the 245s instead of experimenting with modded wheels...

Kale

im running 225/30/20's on my 98 lsc and have a 42 mm offset which leaves me with about an 1/8th inch between the rubber and the fender with no air in the bags... cutting it close but the proper wheel and tire combo does look reel good

Vinyl top on the Mark

indust82 said:
Hey you guys with dubs(20's).......how about some pics.

Besides mine your the only other person with a Mark that has a Vinyl top !!! Looks good bud

thanks alot. since those pics the only (exterior)change I've done is window tint. I bought rims last week (18's) and will probably have a new pic by Monday, if not sooner. The ragtop is what took me from wanting a mark to HAVING to have this one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back