16 inch wheels for a 91 Town Car

pepperman

The Real Deal
Reaction score
I am planning on putting a bigger size wheel and tire on my car and would like some advice from someone who has done this before, what i am wondering about is will the tire rub against something when i make a turn. :feedback: :give :Beer

Tire rub has nothing to do with the diameter of the rim. Backspacing and offset are what you need to be worried about, along with the width of the tires.

Thanks for the advice i will be checking to back spacing and the offset probably tommorrow. I don't think that i will be putting wide tires on my car i really don't like them. I had a pickup once and i had wide tires on it, P275/60R15's on the back nad P255/70R15's on the front after three going through three sets of those tires that bumed me out on wide tires. :give :Beer

I understand about the back spacing but the offset has me confused. :give :Beer :smilies-3

here is a site so you can compare tires sizes and get how far the mpg will be off size difference etc... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

225-60-16 is the closest to your 215-70-15's right. That is the optimal size for being a bit wider but not enough to cause float/uneasy highway cruising. its also what the lincolns before 03 use.

Hi....... purelux thanks for the link heigth wise switching to 16 inch shouldn't be a problem it will be two months before i make the switch and the information is a great help. :give :Beer :smilies-3

Larger Wheels on a Towncar

pepperman said:
I am planning on putting a bigger size wheel and tire on my car and would like some advice from someone who has done this before, what i am wondering about is will the tire rub against something when i make a turn. :feedback: :give :Beer

I have 18 inch wheels on Carol's Town Car. I use BMW aftermarket wheels which are very nice... but expensive. I have hub adapters about 1 inch deep to adapt to Lincoln and allow BMW wheels. The adapaters cost about $90 each. The forged wheels cost about $400 each plus $200 for chrome for each wheel. My tires are Goodyear EMT 2.75/40 R18 on the rear and 2.45/40 R18 in front. I am using Z rated run flat tires that cost about $400 each. All this stuff is pretty expensive but a good tire and wheel shop should be able to give you advice. I think you can get some 17 inch Ford Mustang wheels and tires together for about $1500. You can see my wheels at: http://blacklake.biz/lincoln.htm

John B

Members online

No members online now.
Back