02 sensor

peter guglielmo

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 94 conti exexcutive that needs 02 sensors. i understand there are two, is this correct? the questions i have are: do i have to replace both of them? what company makes good ones? thanks for any info.

What makes you think you need to replace them? Not doubting the possibility, but if you did need to replace one or both, the diagnostics would usually allow you to pinpoint which one.

Diagnostics (pulling the codes) will determine if there is a hard failure in one or both of the sensors. if you have a hard failure, you could replace just that one to get by.

But if you have 100k + miles on car, and the sensors are original, it might be a good idea to replace them both. they play a key role in determining how rich the mixture is, and they can cause poor milage, without causing codes in the computer.

o2 sensor

near as i can tell, neither sensor was ever replaced. the car does have over 100k, i had a mechanic check for codes and he said barring vacuum leaks there was an idication that either one or both are bad. he also said he couldn't pin point as his code reader couldn't really check my system? if i bought the appropriate code reader do you know what code would be displayed? my mileage is pretty bad.

I don't think investing in a code reader yourself would be very cost justified.

I would be more apt to bring it to Lincoln and have them run the codes and tell you exactly what is wrong with your mileage. People get scared about the prices of going to a dealership, but the have the equipment and tools to diagnose things like this with great accuracy. In the long run, it will probably save you money as you will be fixing the problem, instead of just throwing parts at it in an effort to fix it.

OBD-I readers are pretty cheap.. 30 bucks or so. thats what the EEC-IV used in the 94 conti is.

the readers will give a code, but most only display a number, you need to look the number up in a book relevant to the vehicle to get the english version.

actually, for the EEC-IV, you dont need a code reader to get codes, there are a couple sites (don't know them off hand) that show how to use a paperclip or jumper wire to get the codes (show up as flashing check engine lite). but you still need a book with codes to get the proper interpretation.

Members online

No members online now.
Back