'00 LS- coil pack/bearing

hook17

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay this is my first post here, just found this site and think its awesome.. anyways i have 2000 LS bought it with 28k miles loved it for almost 2 yrs and now Im starting to have problems.. I was never sure what the problems were but after reading some of the posts i figured the pumping action when i accelerate is the misfiring problem you guys speak of.. this happened on and off for a month or so and now the check engine light has finally came on.. do you guys think this is a new problem or related to the pumping/misfiring, since its starting to happen more frequently..

Also, as i come to a stop theres this winding type sound, one of my friend says it sounds like a bearing.

I havent taken my car to the shop yet, what do you guys think i should do you guys talk about replacing stuff myself, where can i find information on the casket stuff.. and also what are yalls ideas about the rear bearing? how much and how do i fix it?

got to autozone and have them pull the code. They have an obdII tool and will do it FOC,free of charge.

I do not know what you mean by winding sound. Is it meatl to meatl grinding please explain.

when the car coasts to a stop theres this type of sound that just winds down it makes the car seem weak and about to break down.. dad says all cars do it, put a mechanic in my car he said it might be the rear bearings.

eL eS said:
is it a whinning or droaning sounds? If so it is normal.
its more of a whinning sort of sound.. that describes it better. thanks

Yeah that is normal read below:
Date:
6/12/00

^ NOISE - HIGH PITCHED GEAR "WHINE" HEARD WHILE DRIVING AND/OR COASTING AT LOW SPEEDS IN FIRST OR SECOND GEAR - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5R55N TRANSMISSION AND BUILT 3/15/1999 THROUGH 4/17/2000

^ TRANSMISSION - 5R55N - HIGH PITCHED GEAR "WHINE" HEARD WHILE DRIVING AND/OR COASTING AT LOW SPEEDS IN FIRST OR SECOND GEAR - VEHICLES BUILT 3/15/1999 THROUGH 4/17/2000

LINCOLN: 2000 LS

ISSUE

A high pitched gear "whine" while driving and/or coasting at low speeds in first or second gear may occur on some vehicles. This noise is caused by the mesh of the planetary gearset.

This may explain the sound; if you are confident it is somehting else I would go to the dealer to have them inspect the car just for safetys sake.

went to autozone, the check engine light was caused by cylinder 3 misfiring.. autozone said they couldnt do anything else for me.. what should i do?

well if you do the work yourself it wont. Here is the cylinder numbering for the V8:

Rear of engine
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front of engine

There is a link on this website in some of the recent thresds that provides some illustration of the V8 Valve cover Gasket removal which covers the area you will be in. I would recommend spending the money on an alldata.com subscription and buying the parts from autozone. They have the coils for 32 dollars vs 60 from the dealer. The dealer is going to hit yuo hard on labor and parts. Approx 2 hours to replace the 4 coils on the RH side. Once you crack the cover you might as well replace all 4 but you could get away with just doing number 3.

You might discover that you have a filtrated valve cover gasket and will need to replace at a minimum the RH side. The gaskets are about 30 dollars for the entire set. It is an easy DIY job if you have alldata.com or the shop DVD to work with

passed by the ford dealer says he wants to charge me 80 bucks still for diagnostic even though i know the problem.. what should i do?

okay so i prob need to replace one valve cover and then the 4 coils.. right?

well the valve cover gasket and yes the 4 coils. If you know that is the problem and want to take it to the shop I see no reason why you should have to pay the diag fee. You go in and say do this. This is the fashion my lincoln delaer operates.

Now if you don't know what the problem is then yes the diag fee should be paid.

If you hand tools and some free time you can do this job easily.

woa buddy.. just to replace one coil and casket the dealer is going to charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$605. Hmm how long can i ride the car with it missfiring? i better get a subscription to that website

I drove with mine for about 6 months before the problem was diagnosed.

6 months.. so when it was misfiring you didnt know there was a problem? did it have any adverse effects how many coils did u have to change and what was the final cost

Replacing the #3 coil is pretty easy. I would take the coil cover and coils off yourself and look to see if you have oil in any of the plug wells on that side. Do that first. If there is no oil, replace that one coil and test drive.

That is the one cylinder that was really leaking oil for me on that side and I had to do the seals. That job is time consuming and I would only suggest someone who is confident doing that. If you have confidence, it isn't that hard.

Also, my Autozone did not have the coils. I grabbed one from Advance, but would get one from fordpartsonline if you have a few days to wait.

Members online

No members online now.
Back