Minnesota LS owners.

jarrett88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to get my windows tinted, and I know all the tint laws and what not and quite frankly they suck. Everyone i talk to always says well if your car isnt a cop magnet its fine if you go darker than the legal limit for the most part. So my question is, would any of you guys consider this car a "cop magnet" or if you live in Minnesota have you had issues with cops and illegal tint?

just depends. Is the car stock looking? do you have 20's, Subs, aftermarket lights etc (i have all three :D )?.... will you be driving alot at night?... Do you drive like a jack a$$?. all of these things draw attention to yourself and give a more likely chance of getting pulled over..

i live in minnesota, got a prescription for 20% all around been pulled over like 4 times but all i have to do is show the my script and they leave me alone.

I'm up in grand rapids. 50% tint on sides, and 35 in the back glass. seriously, if I were to tint it more, it would be a safety issue at night.

I'm up in grand rapids. 50% tint on sides, and 35 in the back glass. seriously, if I were to tint it more, it would be a safety issue at night.

Okay, I had my tint done that way on my old car, I'll probably just do that.

depends on what color your car is also.. lighter color cars make the tint look darker, whereas dark color cars make it seem lighter.

This car in it's stock form is not a cop magnet. Make it look like a kid is driving and then it is. I've passed plenty of cops, nervously rode beside a couple as they passed and I haven't been bothered. Just pay to play if you get caught.

Had my LS since 2003 and I live in MN. I have 20% rear windows and 40% in the front. Car is light parchment gold. Been pulled over about 4 times with the car and NEVER have I had a conversation with law enforcement about my tint.

Had my LS since 2003 and I live in MN. I have 20% rear windows and 40% in the front. Car is light parchment gold. Been pulled over about 4 times with the car and NEVER have I had a conversation with law enforcement about my tint.

Well I have ceramic white. So I bet it could be a bad idea. not sure though. I might try to do 35% all over

Well I have ceramic white. So I bet it could be a bad idea. not sure though. I might try to do 35% all over

I haven't been on here in a while, but I thought I'd chime in. I have been pulled over twice for illegal tint and received 2 window tint tickets during the day and at night. Not worth $126 a pop.

I went 5 years without the cops pulling me over or saying anything.. about tint. In the last 3 months I owned the car it I was pulled over 3 times for it, all by different agency's. Buffalo PD, Wright County, and State Patrol. The last one made me peel the window. So... ya never know.

WOW I feel so bad for you MN guys are they really that strict. Had a couple fix a tickets on my other cars they were 20%.

On the LS I went with 15% all around and 5% strip on top of the windshield. No problems yet.

WOW I feel so bad for you MN guys are they really that strict.

Well, if the cop that pulls us over is abiding by the state laws, then yes. The visible light percentage for the tint must be greater than 50% on all the windows. (50% is a gray area, because technically it should be greater than that, but it is so close to "51%" that I don't think they care) The tint also can't be any more than 20% reflective.

Only under a medical exemption, like for a skin condition for example, can the tint be darker.

I think a lot of the times it is up to the cop's discretion whether he wants to bug you about it, but with the laws set in place, eventually you'll get harassed in this state. Some get away with it longer than others.

50% jeez. i mean i think 35% is a waste of money! but here in texas you can catch a sunburn driving in the summer with 50% tint!

50% jeez. i mean i think 35% is a waste of money! but here in texas you can catch a sunburn driving in the summer with 50% tint!

Exactly. And that is why the laws in your state are less stringent. Also from what I have heard here, they like to use the old line about "It's for my safety so that I can see inside of your vehicle when I pull you over." Which I think is a crock of chit, because according to Texas law you could have you rear and back windows as dark as you want. Who says there isn't some mobster in your car with a tommy gun with a "thing" for cops. LOL

Lol, i usually DO! nah but on my last car i had 5% all around, well 3% beacuse i tinted over my 35%! anyways whenever i got pulled over i would immedietly roll my windows down to try and avoid that conversation. Im pretty sure i have 50% right now and i feel like its a glass house, im just not used to it. Good luck if you decide to go darker. I dont know how different 40% is from 50% but if they're really that strict, i wouldnt test it too much.

Members online

No members online now.
Back