2013 Taurus SHO

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This should make for nice discussion. Ford advertises the SHO with 365 hp, and 350 pound-feet of torque. What would everyone estimate the hp at the wheels to be? Also the the SHO has a final drive ratio of 3.16:1. In terms of gears we know, what ratio gears are in it? 3.55?

Stock I would say about 290 at the wheels.
the car is still front wheel drive biased awd so the car will never be nothing more than a daily driver.

Stock I would say about 290 at the wheels.

You're probably pretty close. Figure about 20% driveline loss and you've got 292whp.

the car is still front wheel drive biased awd so the car will never be nothing more than a daily driver.

The current SHO has a 55/45 F/R torque bias which means that for all intents and purposes it is still wrong-wheel-drive junk. However, I did see a commercial yesterday for the new SHO actually showing it going around a track "drifting" sideways and smoking one of the REAR tires:eek: Could it be that the new SHO has a little more rear torque bias?? I'd like to know more.

YThe current SHO has a 55/45 F/R torque bias which means that for all intents and purposes it is still wrong-wheel-drive junk.

So is an STi also junk??

I like rwd too but i bet this SHO can outhandle a stang around the track. And many other cars as well. Its not just FWD. By being AWD it really can hold its own. I think you are being a bit biased and not giving ford props for what a great car they have made.

So is an STi also junk??

I like rwd too but i bet this SHO can outhandle a stang around the track. And many other cars as well. Its not just FWD. By being AWD it really can hold its own. I think you are being a bit biased and not giving ford props for what a great car they have made.

No. An STi isn't junk. It has a longitudinally mounted engine with the transmission behind it for better weight distribution and a rear-biased full time AWD system (from what I've read - I'm admittedly not all that familiar with Subies). The Taurus has a sideways engine with the transaxle under it which makes the car front-heavy and prone to understeer, and is primarily wrong-wheel-drive with most of the engine's power going to the wrong, er...front wheels most of the time. I have no doubt that is handles fine but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would outhandle a Mustang. I mean a Mustang GT will outhandle a BMW M3. But as far as I'm concerned it's still wrong-wheel-drive sideways engine junk. And yeppers, I'm being a LOT biased. I despise wrong-wheel-drive no matter who makes it.:D

All im saying is we need to drive the car before we bash it.

I would not give up my LS for it. But i wouldint mind owning one or an MKS Ecoboost. But i would have to see how it drives first. I dont like the 'floaty" feeling if you know what i mean and the way that fwd cars kinda slope forwards.

I would also lower it a bit, and lower the rear to where its even with the front.

This is :q:q:q:qing impressive:
Livernois Tuned 2010 Taurus SHO vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT - YouTube

I understand what you're saying. And to an extent, I see your point. But personally, I don't need to drive it to know the engine is in there sideways driving the wrong wheels. If it's wrong-wheel-drive, it makes not one single bit of difference to me how it drives. I won't have one. Even if I could afford an SHO, I wouldn't have one. When Ford decides to bring the Falcon over here and start selling real REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE cars again, I'll be a little more interested in what they're peddling.

As I have stated many times I'm with thaywood wrong wheel drive can kiss my ass.
Lucky my wife feels the same way.

I understand what you're saying. And to an extent, I see your point. But personally, I don't need to drive it to know the engine is in there sideways driving the wrong wheels. If it's wrong-wheel-drive, it makes not one single bit of difference to me how it drives. I won't have one. Even if I could afford an SHO, I wouldn't have one. When Ford decides to bring the Falcon over here and start selling real REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE cars again, I'll be a little more interested in what they're peddling.

No you dont need to do anything. But driving the vehicle will give you a much better perspective and maybe steer you away from being so close minded. Im with you on the sideways engine and i also dont like fwd. But if the car doesnt have that fwd feel i could see myself owning one in a near future.

I like ignorance....

Me too. It's fun to play with. Don't you agree:p

What ignorance are we talking about here?

Mustangs are not that great. Crappy suspension and solid axle. Cobras are much better with the IRS (drivetrain wise anyways) and the Boss 302 is a handling beast. But Ford needs to give us a sports car with an LS type suspension. What the 05 stang was supposed to have. Get the hell away from struts which unfortunatly that SHO does have

Yes stangs handle well but they can be beaten by many cars including sedans. I bet Quik could run with them all day long.

Like said earlier bring over the Falcon with an IRS, posi and tons of muscle under the hood and make it AWD and have a model cross over into Lincoln to compete with Cadillac.

No you dont need to do anything. But driving the vehicle will give you a much better perspective and maybe steer you away from being so close minded. Im with you on the sideways engine and i also dont like fwd. But if the car doesnt have that fwd feel i could see myself owning one in a near future.

I wish I could feel that way. But if the engine is in sideways and the primary drive wheels are the fronts, I won't have one. If that makes me closed minded, so be it.

What ignorance are we talking about here?

I have no idea. I was just fvcking with VR4 since I didn't know who he was addressing because he didn't provide a quote:) Sarcasm is one of my virtues:D

Mustangs are not that great. Crappy suspension and solid axle.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO agree with you on that one!!!!! It's the 21st century for God's sake!! Ford needs to wake the hell up and put a modern IRS in the Mustang and get rid of those fvcking struts and give it a proper SLA front suspension. The Mustang is the only RWD car currently in production anywhere on the entire planet Earth that sitll has an ancient archaic log axle rear suspension. Come on!

Cobras are much better with the IRS (drivetrain wise anyways) and the Boss 302 is a handling beast. But Ford needs to give us a sports car with an LS type suspension. What the 05 stang was supposed to have.

Again, I agree. Thank goodness the 2015 Mustang is supposed to finally make it to the 21st century and go independent rear! At least that's the rumor. We'll see what Ford's bean counters have to say about it.

Get the hell away from struts which unfortunatly that SHO does have.

Yes. I HATE struts! I'm so glad Mark VIII's don't have struts! I wish our Cobra didn't have them. But what can ya do? The car still handles like a go-kart!

Yes stangs handle well but they can be beaten by many cars including sedans. I bet Quik could run with them all day long.

From what I've read, that better be one helluva sedan to keep up with the new 'Stang even with the cheap-a$$ strut front and ancient log out back!

Like said earlier bring over the Falcon with an IRS, posi and tons of muscle under the hood and make it AWD and have a model cross over into Lincoln to compete with Cadillac.

That would be absolutely ideal! But Ford won't do it. Ford seems to think that the only people interested in a proper V-8 powered Rear-Drive vehicle are Mustang and ponycar fans. There are those of us who would not mind having a good high performance 4-door sedan with a big honkin' V-8 under the hood sending power to the correct wheels. I think it's going to take a long time for Ford to realize that. By the time they do, Lincoln will have gone the way of Plymouth, Olds, Pontiac, and Mercury. And Ford may not be too far behind.:(

I can't believe a tune shaves off a full second off the 1/4 mile time, that is impressive.. That SHO ran almost the exact same time as the GTO in my sig...

I can't believe a tune shaves off a full second off the 1/4 mile time, that is impressive.. That SHO ran almost the exact same time as the GTO in my sig...

Its the twin turbos.

They are very efficient and i would imagine running low boost from the factory. But even the n/a mustang V6 manages 305 crank from the block alone.

+1

+1 --- Well said~

WOW thaywood... Haters gonna hate huh? :rolleyes:

I prefer RWD too but there's nothing wrong with a correctly setup FWD car for some fun. My buddy's supercharged '03 SVT Focus for instance, will out handle most anything on the road and is an absolute BLAST to drive! ;)

If I had the money I'd buy a new SHO for a daily without a doubt, they are awesome cars (for what they are) No it doesn't compare with my Mark or SC but it isn't supposed to. Also the current fastest new SHO belongs to "Darelli" on the shoforum, it has run a best of 12.13 @ 117mph with just a tune, meth injection and a cat back. There are currently no upgrades for the new SHO's fuel system otherwise it would be an 11 sec car without a problem. BTW that's almost 4500lbs w/driver :eek:

Although I'm not a Mustang guy anymore you can't talk any $hit about the '11-up GT. My friend has a loaded '11 GT and it is nothing short of amazing for the money. That includes the ride and handling even with the SRA and 19's. I'm not so fast to bust on Ford for the SRA as this is what most Mustang drivers want and they got it to perform and ride like you wouldn't imagine...

Mustangs are not that great. Crappy suspension and solid axle. Cobras are much better with the IRS (drivetrain wise anyways) and the Boss 302 is a handling beast. But Ford needs to give us a sports car with an LSX type engine. What the 05 stang was supposed to have.

fixed your statement...lol...yea yea i know im a GM fan...with all of this technology and displacement on demand sh*t you'd think they could produce a v8 gasoline engine with more than 330 cubic inches ie. the 5.4, and the whole mod motor OHC thing which started in the early 90s is completly unnecessary when pushrod v8s have proven to be reliable and powerful and much cheaper and EASIER to work on, and same is true with the ford small block windsor engines.

Also the current fastest new SHO belongs to "Darelli" on the shoforum, it has run a best of 12.13 @ 117mph with just a tune, meth injection and a cat back. There are currently no upgrades for the new SHO's fuel system otherwise it would be an 11 sec car without a problem. BTW that's almost 4500lbs w/driver :eek:

yeah i was looking for those numbers on darelli's car. thanks for posting that up! his car is just awesome. waiting on a bigger direct injection pump for the SHO engines.

WOW thaywood... Haters gonna hate huh? :rolleyes:

Yep. I HATE wrong-wheel-drive. It doesn't matter if it's a good car or not. The engine is sideways driving the wrong wheels. I've owned more than 40 cars in my life and not a single one has been wrong-wheel-drive. And I will never own one as long as I live. I don't care if it is an 11 second car. I'd hate to have to fight the torque steer to keep a FWD car that powerful between the ditches:D

I prefer RWD too but there's nothing wrong with a correctly setup FWD car for some fun. My buddy's supercharged '03 SVT Focus for instance, will out handle most anything on the road and is an absolute BLAST to drive! ;)

That's all well and good and if you like it, more power to ya! FWD is not for me.

If I had the money I'd buy a new SHO for a daily without a doubt, they are awesome cars (for what they are) No it doesn't compare with my Mark or SC but it isn't supposed to. Also the current fastest new SHO belongs to "Darelli" on the shoforum, it has run a best of 12.13 @ 117mph with just a tune, meth injection and a cat back. There are currently no upgrades for the new SHO's fuel system otherwise it would be an 11 sec car without a problem. BTW that's almost 4500lbs w/driver :eek:

That's pretty impressive. But it's still wrong-wheel-drive sideways engine junk:p

Although I'm not a Mustang guy anymore you can't talk any $hit about the '11-up GT. My friend has a loaded '11 GT and it is nothing short of amazing for the money. That includes the ride and handling even with the SRA and 19's. I'm not so fast to bust on Ford for the SRA as this is what most Mustang drivers want and they got it to perform and ride like you wouldn't imagine...

I am a Mustang guy and I can talk all kinds of junk about the '05 and up S197 platform Mustangs. I love them, don't get me wrong. My mom has an '08 V-6 convertible. They're awesome cars. A little too cramped on the inside for my taste, but great handling and fast (but the convertible has so much cowl shake I feel like ordering fries to go with it!). But they've still got cheap econobox struts up front and an ancient 20th century log out back. The '05-'13 Mustang's suspension was obsolete before it was ever designed. Ford dropped the ball big time with that decision. They had the opportunity to redesign the Mustang into a world class car that could hold it's own against the best from Europe and in my opinion, they blew it. Sure, the new GT outhandles a BMW M3 and that is a monumental feat of biblical proportions given the Mustang's primitive caveman suspension. Just think of how much better it could have been with a proper SLA front and IRS! :)

Members online

Back