Increasing Horsepower?

JBRoss

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I have a 2000 Lincoln LS. Some of you have seen pics of it. I'm looking to improve the performance/gas milage. What's a good way to get a little more performance out of it? Thanks.

How much increase do you want? Whats your budget?

Operative words from the op....."little more performance". Stop licking your chops Alax. LOL. :)

Generally the big 3 recommendations for the LS are:

1.) Cold Air Intake ~$150-250
2.) Xcalibrator 2/3 + Tune ~$300-400
3.) Catback exhaust ~$650-750(?)

Additionally if you're looking for something more "drag racey" or for track times some folks have installed Nitrous systems.
Beyond that the LS has a very scarce aftermarket and you'd be looking at very pricey/time consuming modifications such as forced induction.

edit: Actually I see that you have a V6. You may want to look into other car forums that also share the Duratec 3.0. Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, etc. They may be more interested in performance modifications.

one way to go faster and not even touch the engine is with the diff mod, but that will kill your gas millage.

well you won't go faster but your acceleration will greatly increase

I want to agree with you 02. My only question is has anyone who has actually done the mod reported back on what their mileage went to afterwards?

Search this forum for V6 info and the Taurus forum for more V6 info. I would ensure all mechanical normal items are addressed, as reported in this forum as normal wear out with milage so your budget ensures you don't end up with a faster vehicle that won't start, steer or handle when it wants to run with the Big Dogs!! Change all fluids & filters, inspect complete brake system, replace all belts, thermostat, have auto parts store do free check of ignition/starting system. Money spent on go faster parts will be better spent if all preventative maintenance is performed 1st and then it will go when you want it to, consistantly, reliably, and safely! Just a few thoughts from an old hot rodder!

I don't think any one has, I know my uncle put steeper gears in his 68 Firebird and it destroyed his gas millage

I know its a race car and he doesn't care about mileage but he will take it on Sunday cruises and noticed it dropped pretty good. Also he can run it real long on the high way because it runs much higher rpms will get hot.

one way to go faster and not even touch the engine is with the diff mod, but that will kill your gas millage.

well you won't go faster but your acceleration will greatly increase

I'm guessing you are referring to the 8.8 diff and gears mod, not simply swapping the open diff lor an LSD. I know the mileage will suffer a little, but not terribly. Well, the difference would vary depending on which gearset you install. I personally was going to do 4.56's, but I'm done throwing money at the LS. 168K miles.

As much as i love my LS im almost done with throwing money at it too.

Besides regular maintenance all i can see doing as far as mods is wheels, lowering and the spoiler.

Man I was still planning on dropping a Bugatti motor in it and 36 inch diamond encrusted wheels

steeper gears in the city don't hurt much. the extra torque can help get you moving from a stop, and with an overdrive trans, you still have plenty of gear. i would bet your highway average will drop though, depending on how you drive. if you slow down a bit, the hit you take will decrease. so if your highway driving is minimal, won't matter much.
but if you put in gears, you should be looking for fun, not mileage. the biggest hurt with gas mileage and the gears, is it harder to keep your foot out of it! :D

I'm guessing you are referring to the 8.8 diff and gears mod, not simply swapping the open diff lor an LSD. I know the mileage will suffer a little, but not terribly. Well, the difference would vary depending on which gearset you install. I personally was going to do 4.56's, but I'm done throwing money at the LS. 168K miles.

I thought you had a spare engine in your garage waiting to go one and with more serious mods?

Ok. So I have a 2000 Lincoln LS. Some of you have seen pics of it. I'm looking to improve the performance/gas milage. What's a good way to get a little more performance out of it? Thanks.

All of the feedback given is spot on and useful. Hope to see some pics of your LS. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll definitely look into some of this. I'll try to get back to this post soon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back