ls repair help...is it the gas pump or the coils??

jtaylecg

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2002 ls was idleing low almost to the point of dying completley. It had low power on acceleration and would not hardly shift unless you go easy on the gas. I took it to the downtown ford dealership for "expert" service . They said, oh you gad bad gas in your car. Gave me a sample of the gas wich looked dirty. But was prob just bottom of tank gunk. So I got a r&r on the gas tank, lines cleaned, and they told me it was fixed. 10 mins afer driving off the lot same problem again! I call the dealer and they said drive it a lil and put lucas gas treatmet. It runs a little better after letting idle for a while but still drives bad. I know the problem with the oil on the coils...I had it fixed once.... but should I have had the pump changed to . And if so how hard is it to change ls pump yourself with minimum experience? Let me know if any video or pics available for ls coil change...or fuel pump...love my ls...its clean condition...used to run good...help!

HA, Downtown ford, did you talk to a guy named Bruce crumlof (not sure how you spell his name)... Dude that place is awful...

I live in canton as well, I just did my pump about 2 weeks ago its actually pretty easy compared to what I thought it would be

I would change the filter like mentioned above. but i picked up an ls that had bad gas, I threw in some seafoam in the tank, filled it up with fresh shell, changed out the fuel filter (& it needed it), cars runs smooth. But I didn't run that bad to begin with, but def felt a lil difference. & now averaging around 17-18 mpg

Also unplug the MAF see how it runs, It may Idle poorly still because the car is guessing at fuel, but if it runs better you have narrowed your problem down. Another Check is to get a fuel pressure gauge and run it up under the cowl so you can see it and try to drive. If the fuel pressure isn't low you know its not a fuel pressure problem.

I am in the area if you need help my number is 330-323-9406.

Also unplug the MAF see how it runs, It may Idle poorly still because the car is guessing at fuel, but if it runs better you have narrowed your problem down. Another Check is to get a fuel pressure gauge and run it up under the cowl so you can see it and try to drive. If the fuel pressure isn't low you know its not a fuel pressure problem.

I am in the area if you need help my number is 330-323-9406.

Let the prank calls begin!!!! :N

My 2002 ls was idleing low almost to the point of dying completley. It had low power on acceleration and would not hardly shift unless you go easy on the gas. I took it to the downtown ford dealership for "expert" service . They said, oh you gad bad gas in your car. Gave me a sample of the gas wich looked dirty. But was prob just bottom of tank gunk. So I got a r&r on the gas tank, lines cleaned, and they told me it was fixed. 10 mins afer driving off the lot same problem again! I call the dealer and they said drive it a lil and put lucas gas treatmet. It runs a little better after letting idle for a while but still drives bad. I know the problem with the oil on the coils...I had it fixed once.... but should I have had the pump changed to . And if so how hard is it to change ls pump yourself with minimum experience? Let me know if any video or pics available for ls coil change...or fuel pump...love my ls...its clean condition...used to run good...help!

Id say see if they changed the filter... drive it a bit more to see if it changes... If not you may want to start looking into coils, were the coils replaced when the VCG was last time???

yea i unplugged the maf but no difference. another question if there is oil pooled in my plugs would that make the check engen light come on? because its not i heard that it would come on if its the coils. but not if its oil in the plug well.

yea i unplugged the maf but no difference. another question if there is oil pooled in my plugs would that make the check engen light come on? because its not i heard that it would come on if its the coils. but not if its oil in the plug well.

Oil in the plug wells will eventually cause coil failure, but it doesn't always do it right away.
Coils will fail even with no oil in the plug wells.
You often will not get a check engine light with marginal coil failure. It makes no difference at all as to if oil in the wells is involved or not.
The only 100% way to find marginal coils is a stress test. A stress test is not a DIY thing.
Alternately, a scan tool that can trigger the KOER self test and read the misfire precounts, can help to find them (but it's not 100%). Many scan tools can not do this.

Oil in the plug wells will eventually cause coil failure, but it doesn't always do it right away.
Coils will fail even with no oil in the plug wells.
You often will not get a check engine light with marginal coil failure. It makes no difference at all as to if oil in the wells is involved or not.
The only 100% way to find marginal coils is a stress test. A stress test is not a DIY thing.
Alternately, a scan tool that can trigger the KOER self test and read the misfire precounts, can help to find them (but it's not 100%). Many scan tools can not do this.

My wife's '06 is starting to stumble/miss under light, up-hill acceleration. I thought it might be the diet of Costco gas, but am now leaning towards failing coil(s). I haven't checked, but I doubt there is oil in the plug wells. I have already replaced the #4 coil after getting the ETC Failsafe warning. I am surprised at a coil failure as the car has only 57K miles. I guess the years also take their toll. It's not like we live in a high heat area......

Members online

No members online now.
Back