Soooo... 2 waterpumps in 2 years.

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with that?

First day It got cold got a low coolant message. Then 3 days later again. Since then I've gotten the message about twice a week. All the while I've been looking around hoping to find the leak and when I did my fuel pump I FOUND IT. Water pump.

I replaced the water pump under 2 years ago. What is it with these things? :shifty::confused:

Glad it's not anything more serious. Whew...

Was it Motorcraft? I would use none other.

Or maybe the o-ring got pinched, can be easy to do when installing and just took a while to finally fail. Or is the fluid coming from the small hole?

Was it Motorcraft? I would use none other.

Or maybe the o-ring got pinched, can be easy to do when installing and just took a while to finally fail. Or is the fluid coming from the small hole?

No, orielly (new) part. I don't think it's coming from the hole. Since there is enough leakage to cause a low coolant message I'm assuming that's not the issue. Maybe the seal got pinched like you said.

next time you get a chance i would do a full coolant flush

When I put it in there I did a full coolant flush as I replaced the thermostat and the radiator at the same time. When I replace it I will however as it's the best time to do it.

Probably just the o-ring then. I would pick up an o-ring and Motorcraft pump. Return the pump if you do not need it.

Did you put tap or well water in it instead of distilled water/anti-freeze? Does it look rusty? Sounds like an o-ring problem to me, too. Make sure when you change in this time, you oil up the ring so it slips in there nicely with little chance of breaking. And make sure the surface on the block that the o-ring slides against is cleaned up nicely.

TO clarify above post, dont literally oil it. Petroleum products will destroy the ring. Silicone lubricant is okay (plumbers type paste) or you can use anti-freeze. Normally this is a no-no, but the system hold such low pressure that you will not be creating an "escape path" for it.

TO clarify above post, dont literally oil it. Petroleum products will destroy the ring. Silicone lubricant is okay (plumbers type paste) or you can use anti-freeze. Normally this is a no-no, but the system hold such low pressure that you will not be creating an "escape path" for it.

I used Petroleum jelly on the two I've changed and never had a prob. And when I did the Cobra radiator install in my Thunderbird, the nipple was much bigger than the hose and I lubed it up with regular 10-40w (slipped right on, too!)

Your post makes sense, I'm just saying that hasn't been an issue in my experience.

Plumbers paste, mean like the Teflon paste?

I used Petroleum jelly on the two I've changed and never had a prob. And when I did the Cobra radiator install in my Thunderbird, the nipple was much bigger than the hose and I lubed it up with regular 10-40w (slipped right on, too!)

Your post makes sense, I'm just saying that hasn't been an issue in my experience.

Plumbers paste, mean like the Teflon paste?

It will be an issue though. Its not a myth, its a fact that since both the o-ring and oil (or petroleum) are made from the same crude substance, when combined they want to "balance" out. So the rubber breaks down. This is why plumbers uses silicone, otherwise the faucets fails faster. And this is why boots on older car joint fail, since grease breaks them down. Now days they use different greases that help prevent boot failure. Not sure if its silicone based or not. MOOG uses some weird blue stuff.

And plumbers paste is a silicone "grease". I just dont like to call it grease since that implies something oil based. It comes in little containers for a couple bucks. I have a bunch of them since I keep loosing them... then find them!

Its just good practice to use the right products. Just like using the right weight oil.

The whole conversation about what lube to put on the ring might well have been the cause of the failure. I didn't know this and don't remember what type of lubricant I put on the ring when I put it in there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back