Rearend or CV that's gone bad in LS??

Justin00LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a click and a hum that's most prominent when I downshift and let it the engine slow the car down as well as a slightly noticeable humming at interstate speeds... I'm not certain if it is the rearend or a CV but I'm leaning toward replacing the rearend. The symptoms are almost identical to my last rearend that I replaced a few years back (lasted 125k miles). The car pulls hard and shifts pretty firm in SST mode and 255 tires don't allow for much wheel slip (but it can chirp tires on 1st gear shift). I realize and accept that this puts more stress on the drivetrain... but in all honesty I don't drive it hard very often.

Who else has had to replace the rearend? If so, at what mileage and what are your driving habits? I'll try to snap a video with the sound under de-acceleration and post it.

I have to have mine replaced for the second time. Wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't done exactly a year ago. First time it was replaced it was at 165k now im at 190k. I drive ALOT so I''m not super worried about it. Probably be getting a new car soon anyway.

I replaced mine at 62K and Im going to be doing it right this time around at 68K with an 8.8IRS set up.. I beat the crap out of my car(holeshots ect) and use SST a lot..

I know that on the manual transmission they wearout the cv end closet to the diff and it causes a noticeable bump if you don't shift right. Its very annoying.t

Members online

Back