Reached a part of my goal last week

Markviiiedrea

Speed Bump
Reaction score
I knew a while back there was a weight loss thread and since I can’t find it any more to update it here is the update...

After some crummy stuff over the last 18 months I reached my goal weight back in December and passed MEPS. As of March 9th I'm in the USAFR!

I leave for basic in November down in San Antonio and my tech school is at Sheppard in Wichita Falls, TX. My MOS is for Avionics on C130's and I will be part timing it here in Minneapolis. Hopefully move in to a flight engineering slot down the line.

When I say I reached part of my goal means that now I can go back to school and get my Aerospace Engineering degree and hopefully work for some space flight/technology company some day.

Took 5 years to drop the 120 some odd pounds but definitely worth it. Landed a good job with a great company and I actually found an awesome women who supports my inner nerd and my vehicular addictions I can honestly say I am truly happy. I know I’m boasting but it feels good once and a while! :D

So now I got the next 8 months to enjoy summer, cruse around in the T and keep at the exercise thing because let’s face it, I’m still a fat kid at heart who love’s pizza rolls!

Well congrats on the entry of the USAFR. You will need to keep at the exercise practices to maintain your wt and body fat %. Even a reserve unit, you will be tested physically twice a year and it would be a shame to lose it all over a failed PT test. Good luck on it and do well for the service, country, God while you are serving.

Congrats Man!!! Nothing like reaching a goal, especially something that life changing!! Keep up the good work and I appreciate your service to our great country. Thank you!

San Antonio (Lackland AFB) is pretty cool...go see the Riverwalk on the day after graduation. Wichita Falls however sucks major ass. Couldn't have a POV until you were there at least 2 months, iirc. Base amenities were basic. There wasn't much in town, but the pawn shops were great. We were piled 3 to a room so that wasn't so bad. Make sure you have warm clothes when you get to Sheppard, it gets cold with a 35 mile per hour wind there. You won't know the next day's weather in basic training, you'll find that out when you walk out the door. Tech school is good, but it was a long hike from the dorm rooms to the classrooms. I was on the night shift so we didn't encounter too much brass. All this was in 1995-6 so it may have changed. I went in the MS ANG as a crew chief on C141 aircraft. Congrats on the acceptance.

Ive been to sheppard it has a hotel on post.

Air force has amazing quarters compared to the army.

Congratulations! I hope you reach the rest of your goal also.

Thanks!

I asked someone once the difference between the AF and army.... army sleeps in tent, AF sleeps in hotels..... It's going to take about 6 years to reach the other half of the goal now. Just got to keep on it.

All services have their pros and cons but its agreed from many that ive spoken to that the guys in blue have it easier compared to the others.

But it does take a lot of skill to be a pilot so its all relative.

Congrats on the success. 5 years is steep, but you did it. Goals aren't such a bad concept when you are coming closer to them and not getting further away. Seems like all you hear is bad news so it's cool to see even small scale success.

Members online

No members online now.
Back