Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39209925/ns/today-parenting/?GT1=43001

Teen suspended from school over ‘religious’ nose ring

North Carolina 14-year-old says she belongs to Church of Body Modification

By Tom Breen
sourceAP.standard.gif

updated 9/16/2010 8:56:27 AM ET

RALEIGH, N.C. — A soft-spoken 14-year-old's nose piercing has landed her a suspension from school and forced her into the middle of a fight over her constitutional right to exercise her religion.
Ariana Iacono says she just wants to be a normal teenager at Clayton High School, about 15 miles southeast of Raleigh. She has been suspended since last week because her nose ring violates the Johnston County school system's dress code.
"I think it's kind of stupid for them to kick me out of school for a nose piercing," she said. "It's in the (constitution's) First Amendment for me to have freedom of religion."
Iacono and her mother, Nikki, belong to the Church of Body Modification, a small group unfamiliar to rural North Carolina, but one with a clergy, a statement of beliefs and a formal process for accepting new members.
It's enough to draw the interest of the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, which has contacted school officials with concerns that the rights of the Iaconos are being violated by the suspension.

The Iaconos say the school system is ignoring its own dress code policy, which allows exemptions on religious grounds. The effect, Nikki Iacono, 32, says, is that Johnston County school officials are setting themselves up as judges of what constitutes a "real" religion.
"We pretty much flat-out asked them, what guidelines are you following? What do you need to establish a sincere religious belief?," she said. "We were told that if we were Hindu, or she were Muslim, it would be different."

On Tuesday, after her first suspension ended, Ariana went back to school with her mother — and her nose ring. She was suspended again, this time for five days. If she comes back to school on Sept. 21 with the nose stud, she'll face a 10-day suspension or referral to "alternative schooling," Nikki Iacono said.
A Johnston County schools spokeswoman declined to comment on the situation, saying it's against the law to publicly discuss a particular student's disciplinary matters.
Richard Ivey, the Iaconos' Raleigh-based minister in the church, believes it's a case of officials dismissing something unfamiliar.
"They're basically saying, because they don't agree and because they choose not to respect our beliefs, that it can't be a sincerely held religious belief," he said.
Ivey describes the church as a non-theistic faith that draws people who see tattoos, piercings and other physical alterations as ways of experiencing the divine.
"We don't worship the god of body modification or anything like that," he said. "Our spirituality comes from what we choose to do ourselves. Through body modification, we can change how we feel about ourselves and how we feel about the world."

The church claims roughly 3,500 members nationwide, having started about two years ago, after adopting the name of a similar group that had been dormant for several years.
The Iaconos have contacted the North Carolina chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union for help, and legal director Katy Parker says the school is on shaky ground.
Students' free expression rights are limited at schools, but Parker believes a legal category known as a "hybrid right" overrules those curbs. Essentially, the Iaconos are arguing that Ariana's right to free expression and Nikki's right to raise her daughter as she wishes are being abridged.

Get the f**k out of here:rolleyes:

So now people get to make up stuff and call it "religion".
This country needs to spell out what constitutes a religion
and stop coddling whackos.

So now people get to make up stuff and call it "religion".
This country needs to spell out what constitutes a religion
and stop coddling whackos.
Great! We can have a national religion, yay!

While they're at it, can they spell out what constitutes 'marriage' too?

Oh wait...

Great! We can have a national religion, yay!

While they're at it, can they spell out what constitutes 'marriage' too?

Oh wait...

Gonna get a tattoo so you can experience the divine?

our national religion is worship of the allmighty dollar.:p

maybe the IRS can tell us how they define a "religion"

What if a bunch of bums or some other group who don't bathe decided to form a church in bumtown or on a campus
saying they felt "spiritual" farting and smelling their BO.
Would it be ok to send them home if they were students.

I'm gonna create a religion that involves hitting people, can't touch me b1tches, cause punching and hitting you brings me closer to my god....of punishment! lol

Master Pete
your Subs are ready:p

rofl

:-D

funny how people abuse the constritution to try and either get attention or try and be dicks and try and use "law". when will people learn that the constitution is VAGUE because they didn't have all that we have today!

They never had rebelious kids, they never had internet, they never had bombs (cannons yes...), they never had clothes that were the size of cotton balls (ahem..women!), they didn't f*cking have all that would be considered witchcraft, lunacy, and f*cking stupidity back in the 1700s....seriously when will people just suck that piece of information in. If it became a religion or freedom of speech to bring a firearm to a SCHOOL...and the forefathers found out (hell do I know...time travel?) then they would of put that in as non-exempt reason

That is exactly what Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church do

We're such a pushover handing out privileges when someone forms a "church"
"Church of the poison mind"? sure, here's your tax exempt number.
Go get in someone's face.
Next...

btw church of 3500 members..isn't that catagoried at a cult when a church has an exteme low volume?

funny how people abuse the constritution
I'm not a grammer nazi, but I found that mistake to be mildly entertaining....

when will people learn that the constitution is VAGUE because they didn't have all that we have today!
I don't think the constitution is vague at all.

They never had rebelious kids, they never had internet, they never had bombs (cannons yes...), they never had clothes that were the size of cotton balls (ahem..women!), they didn't f*cking have all that would be considered witchcraft, lunacy, and f*cking stupidity back in the 1700s....
To presume that people of the 18th century were any different than people of the 21st century or the 14th century is a mistake. The culture and technology has changed, but the individuals and their motivations haven't. Humans behavior has been consistent throughout history.

seriously when will people just suck that piece of information in.
"Suck that piece of information?"

If it became a religion or freedom of speech to bring a firearm to a SCHOOL...and the forefathers found out (hell do I know...time travel?) then they would of put that in as non-exempt reason
No. Because freedom of religion doesn't mean that you can engage in behavior that is illegal or infringes upon the rights of others while practicing it. Behavior isn't made legal simply because it's associated with a religion or cult.

The Church of Body Modification looks to be nothing more than an organization to bring together those who like body piercings and split tongues. According to its website, the core teaching is that body modification is believed to enhance spiritual growth. I don't see anything about a belief in a body modification deity and something that would indicate the Church of Body Modification is really practicing a religion. And even if there is one, it would not make this organization a religious entity.

I'm not one to quickly jump to the side of supporting school boards and administration when it comes to students who want to express themselves but I'm going to agree with the school on this one. We simply cannot allow people to use religious freedom as an excuse to get away with doing something that would otherwise not be allowed.

We simply cannot allow people to use religious freedom as an excuse to get away with doing something that would otherwise not be allowed.

Yes and that also nicely sums up Islam's assault on America.
Islam will eventually lead to a tightenning up of the granting of religious freedoms and privileges, including silly ones like this.

Religions ought to be held up to some public scrutiny. The problem is that our society has developed such a high view of “science” that I would daresay they are really superstitious. It doesn’t take a college epistemology class to show that “science” doesn’t prove everything. We simply cannot use the scientific method as the only criteria of judging a religion to be rational or irrational.

We can use a little common sense, however.

G.K. Chesterton once said that “common sense is under attack by an uncommon nonsense,” and nonsense is exactly what we’re moving towards because we present ourselves with judging religion by “science” (and thus abandoning religion as unverifiable by the lights of raw materialism) or by calling everything “a religion” (and thus allowing in all the absurd “religions” we see today).

"It seems to me that many of the current disputes with regard to both economic theory and economic policy have their common origin in a misconception about the nature of the economic problem of society. This misconception in turn is due to an erroneous transfer to social phenomena of the habits of thought we have developed in dealing with the phenomena of nature."
-F.A. Hayek, The Use of Knowledge in Society

Members online

Back