Air Bag question

mscs

LVC Member
Reaction score
The dealer told me today I should replace the airbags, they are leaking. I have a 1990 Town Car Signature. Will this change the ride of the car at all? Seems to me the car looks & sits the way it always has. Also will this raise the car at all? I hope not. It sits high enough in the back. Thanks.

The car never sags? they are probably just bulls#*ting you, they want money. They probably want $200 per bag...

Air ride

If "Check Air Suspension" has not shown up on you dash, I wouldn't worry. Yet. Check your compressor by getting two big guys or a couple bags of cement and load them in the trunk. If it levels off, your good. If it doesn't, you could spend as little as $100 per bag and install them yourself or convert to Coils Springs for about $125 for the pair. The choice is yours.
If you dont agree with the diagnosis use your due diligence and have someone else look at it. Its easy to think that the dealer is trying to make money off you, its harder to comprehend, its a twenty year old car that their not trained on. That was the first year of the second generation TC. Things have changed since 1990.

Thanks, after asking the dealer why my car wasn't sagging in the back if I needed new airbags, they said well it's not bad now, you could wait awhile to change them it wouldn't hurt. I thought wow what a change of heart. They were pretty adamant about putting in new bags. I'll keep an eye out for any sagging. Since it has the original airbags, will putting on new one's change the ride at all? Boy I would think putting in coil springs would definitely change the feel of the TC

putting in new bags shouldn't change the ride, it would just keep the air from leaking out slowly (as it sounds like in your case). The compressor just compensates by running more often when you have a leak to keep the car level. Its not like putting in springs where it will stiffen the ride.

Members online

No members online now.
Back