Squeaking after installing new 200 amp alternator

Mussolini1996

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just installed my 200 amp alternator that I bought from DB Electrical and what a pain in the rear it was. Anyways, now i'm getting a very annoying squeaking sound which sounds like it's coming from a pulley. I first applied some belt dressing thinking that was it, but to no avail. I've tried tightening and loosening the pulley, that I think the noise is coming from, but that doesn't seem to have much affect. Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do??? Any suggestions???

I just installed my 200 amp alternator that I bought from DB Electrical and what a pain in the rear it was. Anyways, now i'm getting a very annoying squeaking sound which sounds like it's coming from a pulley. I first applied some belt dressing thinking that was it, but to no avail. I've tried tightening and loosening the pulley, that I think the noise is coming from, but that doesn't seem to have much affect. Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do??? Any suggestions???

i dont know, i would say one of the pulleys too

So what should I do??? Replace the pulley??? Try to lube it up??? Is there a torque specification for the pulley???

Did you replace the belt when you did the install? Pouring some water on the belt while the engine is running will eliminate any belt noise temporarily if that is the culprit. If you suspect a pulley, pull off the belt and inspect the pulley bearings by spinning it. The noise could also be coming from your new alternator. Unhook the belt and spin it by hand and see if it makes any noise.

I did not replace the belt when I did the install. The belt isn't cracked and doesn't look worn. I tried some belt dressing and that didn't resolve the issue. I don't think it's my new alternator for two reasons. The first is because I spun the wheel on the alternator before I installed it, it was very smooth, and didn't make any squeaks at all. The second reason being that I can almost pinpoint where the squeal is coming from and it looks like a pulley is the culprit.

Well, wetting the belt with water will eliminate it from the equation. If it sounds like the idler, replace it - they're cheap.

Why did you put in a 200 amp? And you would never be able to spin it fast enough with your hand to pick up the noise.

Members online

Back