Steam cleaning

Chadly

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Gonna try to do it on the 97, anybody have any tips? Never used one before. Mainly need it for the timing cover since its so dingy. I know to stay away from the COP covers with the water, same thing with steam? Anything else to stay clear of?

Just don't blast the electronics... steam cleaning is pretty safe unless you are a moron, are you a moron Chadly?

You'll be fine. As mentioned, don't soak the electronics with the pressure washer. I don't think this makes a difference, but I always leave the motor running. I figure if I fork something up, I'll have a general idea where to look when the motor dies.

Some of those washers have caustic soda in the water to aid in cleaning so I would be sure to check out before you start.

I am a fan of foaming tire cleaner. Works well with the '97 and '92. The caveat to this is that it will eat silk screening (unless you let it dry completely), relax adhesives on taped part numbers and some paints. ex: the '97 cross over pipe became very fracture and looked like used and abused. However compared to the really nice outcome of the rest of the engine compartment, it was hardly noticeable.

The '92 paint took to the application well. although a few part numbers that were taped on become loose. Still to my eyes, very well worth the effort.

Cost less and very much an easier alternative to steam cleaning.

:cool:

Did it on my carpet the other day and works awesome SSgt.

Members online

Back