Tie Rods? Windows not opening/closing?

Dom

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
Couple of things. Anyone ever redo Outer Tie Rods? Mine are shot and I'm buying a set and was told it was a pretty easy job to do solo? Any pix or how-to guide out there?

Also: I replaced my passenger side front window regulator/motor recently. The window worked flawlessy for about two weeks, but now, all of my windows either won't go down and/or up, at the touch of a switch. You can press it a few times and it eventually will go down/up, but not every time. Wierd. And it's not just the switch to the window itself, but also with the drivers' side controls for each window. Is it a fuse issue?

The electrical issues are starting to creep up on my 02 V8 LS!

Outer tie rod ends are pretty simple but require an alignment afterwards. Just pull it off the wheel assembly, count the number of full rotations it takes to remove the old unit, install the new tie rod end the same number of rotations. make sure everything is tight, take it to the alignment shop.

If I am not mistaken all the windows are controlled from the driver's door module (one of the comptuers in these cars commonly referred to as DDM), you may want to trace operation from there. It allows the master control from the driver door lock and remote/fob.

Section 419.10 of the manual has to do with the DDM
http://deneau.info/ls/ << manual

I've not seen it with the LS yet, but many cars break the wires at the hinge point of the door opening, if it comes to inspecting wires manually, start there.

I could be way off, do your research, but you needed a bump if nothing else ;)

You can get OEM Tie Rod ends from Max at 5 Star Ford. I just did mine price was fantastic and much better quality for parts ...

Easy Job ... don't forget to count the turns as you take the old ones off. Should use the same number of turns to put the new ones on.

Thanx for the reply. So I checked the possible fuses (actually pulled and checked every fuse in the car!), and they are all good. So it looks like the DDM is no good cuz the windows do go up/down AT each window, but not from the drivers side. I can hear a "clicking" sound when I press any window button on the drivers side but again, the windows work sporadically. I may just throw in a new DDM, if that's what you do in this situation. Anyway, I'm going to do the tie-rods now. You know, the issues keep cropping up lately and I wanna get a new car, but once I get in and rive my LS....that all goes away and I wanna keep it!

Outer tie rod ends are pretty simple but require an alignment afterwards. Just pull it off the wheel assembly, count the number of full rotations it takes to remove the old unit, install the new tie rod end the same number of rotations. make sure everything is tight, take it to the alignment shop.

If I am not mistaken all the windows are controlled from the driver's door module (one of the comptuers in these cars commonly referred to as DDM), you may want to trace operation from there. It allows the master control from the driver door lock and remote/fob.

Section 419.10 of the manual has to do with the DDM
http://deneau.info/ls/ << manual

I've not seen it with the LS yet, but many cars break the wires at the hinge point of the door opening, if it comes to inspecting wires manually, start there.

I could be way off, do your research, but you needed a bump if nothing else ;)

The DDM might need to be re-calibrated.

Pull fuse number 7 in the panel in the passenger side foot well kick panel. Leave it out about 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Cycle the windows up and down. Hold the switch for about 5 seconds after the window stops moving in each direction and that should calibrate it.

I tried doing what you said down below and it didn't work. Drivers side window now isn't moving at all, the other windows arent doing anything from the drivers side now...only from each individual window. Time to take the door apart!

The DDM might need to be re-calibrated.

Pull fuse number 7 in the panel in the passenger side foot well kick panel. Leave it out about 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Cycle the windows up and down. Hold the switch for about 5 seconds after the window stops moving in each direction and that should calibrate it.

if the windows work from their switch but not from the drivers door switch, wouldn't that point to the drivers door switch not the DDM, since the windows do work (from their native switch)

Yea...I have no idea anymore. I ordered a DDM. I'll give it a try.If it doesn't work, I'll return it. The thing is, the windows work "sometimes" from the driver's side. And you can hear that "clicking" sound inside the door when you press any window button, like its making the electrical connection, but not actually working. Guess I'll replace the DDM and go from there. Thanx all for the input.Let you know what happens.

Members online

No members online now.
Back