Spooky radio

XTheOwl

LVC Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that my radio stays on after I pull the key, until I open a door, but a few times now its stayed on after I open the door. Which doesnt bother me a whole bunch, I just turn it off by pushing in the vol knob, but then I can still turn it back on and off with the car off and the key out.

Not a huge deal, but if the unit is "awake" (radio off, but still in some kind of standby mode), it might suck enough power to shorten the life of my battery if its draining it down more than normal every night.

This ever happen to anyone else?

-xto

I've heard of it happening, do your interior lights come on? The radio shuts off if you sit in the car for ~10 mins anyway, plus the LS turns off headlights/interior lights if they get left on for 40 minutes anyway, and i imagine radio / other accessories, so i wouldnt worry. (2nd gen at least)

In the owners manual you can find out how to set the delay time for the radio and head lights.

That's the time delay for the autolamp cutoff. The 40 minute safety timeout (works even if the headlights are switched to on, not auto) can't be changed. It's hard coded.

Its a first generation (2001v8) and I'm 99% sure the autolamp delay has nothing to do with the radio. Except for the couple of times, the radio shuts off the instant the door is cracked, regardless of the autolamp setting.

Aaronearles, I will try out the 40 min thing next time it stays on. Would put my mind at ease...

Thanks,

xto

This has been debated before, elsewhere, but I'll repeat what my [disputed] findings were. My findings are based on the two LS's that I have.

1. 2004 LS with in-dash six CD radio.
There is a delayed accessory power wire that controls the power to the power windows, and as far as I could tell, nothing else. This wire is easy to pick up behind the driver's door panel. I don't have the color code with me, but I do have it written down at home. The radio has no connection to this wire. Instead, the radio has a connection to the driver's door switch. The radio controls it's own power down delay internal to the radio. I know this, because I added a device that keep accessory power (to the windows) on until the driver's door is opened and then closed. (Why? I like to slightly open some of the windows when I leave the car and I kept forgetting to do that before opening the door.) Anyway, this does keep the window power on, but doesn't affect the radio.

2. 2006 LS with DVD navigation.
I added the same device to the same delayed power wire behind the driver's door, and it keeps both the window power and the radio power on. So, I don't know if the difference is the navigation or the year, but I do know that the 2006 navigation is connected to the delayed accessory power wire.

Additional proof:
I have the same bluetooth phone adapter installed in both cars. The same wiring harness adapter was used for both installs. On the 2004, the bluetooth powers down as soon as the key is turned off (even though the radio is still on). On the 2006, the bluetooth powers down at the same time as the radio, when the driver's door is opened.

Good info, joegr. #1 explains why I didn't see one in the radio diagrams. If you wouldn't mind posting the kick-panel wire color, that would be great. I want my Sirius receiver to stay on with the radio.

[/hijack]

Andy

The wire color is gray with a violet stripe. I tapped it at connector C501, which is to the driver's door module. It also runs to the passenger side power window motor, at connector C608. It runs through connectors C610 and C511 to get there. Unfortunately, those are both in the doors too. It does cross from the drivers door to the passenger door, but I can't find any connectors under the dash for it. It also connects to the navigation system (if you have it) at C4209 as a gray with black stripe wire and at C212 as a gray with orange stripe wire. It connects to the moon roof motor via C920 still as a gray/violet wire. There is also a connector it passes through under the rear package shelf.

My guess is your best bet to find it will be behind the left or right kick panel in the front of the car. Be warned that there may be other wires with the same colors that do something else, so test whatever wire you do find.

Honestly, I've not had time to dig into it. Most likely, I'll try to find it in the kick panel first, but I do wonder if the non-nav cars already have the proper connections near the radio someplace.

Andy

I like the fact that my radio stays on after I pull the key, until I open a door, but a few times now its stayed on after I open the door. Which doesnt bother me a whole bunch, I just turn it off by pushing in the vol knob, but then I can still turn it back on and off with the car off and the key out.

Not a huge deal, but if the unit is "awake" (radio off, but still in some kind of standby mode), it might suck enough power to shorten the life of my battery if its draining it down more than normal every night.

This ever happen to anyone else?

-xto

Mine does that fairy often.
The power gets shut off after 10 minutes anyway so no worries.
Never had to jump start my LS because of that. Leaving the alarm on for 3 weeks on the other hand...

Honestly, I've not had time to dig into it. Most likely, I'll try to find it in the kick panel first, but I do wonder if the non-nav cars already have the proper connections near the radio someplace.

Andy

Okay, I did some more looking at the book, because I now need to find the delayed power wire. What we need is the Gray/Orange wire that goes to pin 2 of connector C212. Connector C212 is a 20 pin connector located up high on (or above) the driver's side kick panel. This is theory at this point based on the wiring diagram. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I verify it.

The delay for the radio is in the radio.

Mine does that if I open the door quickly after turning off the engine. It appears to me that if you open the door very, very closely to the time you turn off the engine the radio doesn't have time to go into delayed mode.

I agree. I was just pointing out where you can find the other delayed accessory power lead. If you tap to it, then an after-market radio (like the AVIC's) can have the delayed turn-off feature too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back