advancetrac light

rickztahone

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i posted this already, i searched my threads and didn't find anything. my problem is that my check advancetrac light keeps poppin up almost everyday. if i turn the car off it'll go away but when i drive the car a few miles it comes back on. i have no idea how to go about fixing this if the light doesn't stay on when i turn the car off. any suggestions? this use to happen before but it went away and just recently started popping back up. but now it's everyday that it does this and i'm worried it might turn into something more serious. please help

You're going to have to pull the codes. It doesn't matter that the light is out, the fault code(s) will still be stored. The OBD II scanners (like at Auto Zone) will not be able to pull the Advantrac codes. You need a scanner that has a Ford specific option, such as the AutoTap. Or, the dealer can do it.

If the ABS isn't failing too, then it is probably the steering angle sensor or one on the MEMS sensors. You need the fault code to tell.

so i got the codes pulled and one of them was that i needed the ABS module replaced and something to do with the brake booster. my friend was telling me the description of the codes over the phone and i was at work so i couldn't really get more info than just that. he told me that on parts alone it was like 800 bucks plus 200 labor. this is with "supposed" discounts, but the 200 labor doesn't seem that bad for a ford dealership mechanic. has anyone had this problem? the ABS module would be the first one i fix since that's what i think is making my advanctrec light go on. any advice appreciated

I had this same problem last year. Does your car pull to the left or right? Mine pulled to the right, when I took it to the dealer they found the front right "ABS module"??? was bad. I don't know about the cost as that was still under warranty.

Only seemed to happen after the car froze up overnight. It was middle of winter in Minnesota. I would drive it then once I shut it off, if the car / brakes were warmed up, the light would stay out the next time I started it.

No matter. I'm pretty sure your problem with be something with the ABS at one of the 4 corners.

yeah, thanks Silver LS. i wish i knew how to repair it myself. i haven't noticed it pulling to be honest but maybe it has and i've pegged it to my wheels rather than the ABS. if anyone else knows where this part is or has replaced it please let me know. about to email max to see how much the part is

The ABS module is the unit on the passenger side with all the black lines sticking out of it. It uses inputs from the ABS Sensors which are mounted on the knuckle assembly of each wheel, to control magnetic valves which make the pulses that keep the brakes from locking up.

Post your codes and maybe we can pinpoint the problem.

alright guys, bear with me.
my friend gave me a copy of the codes that came up, due to the advancetrac. he wrote them down bunched up and i'm not sure where one code begins and the other ends. i have (and i'm typing them as they are written):
ABS
TSB03-02-03 C1288
C1289

and parts he said i'd need:
XW42-2140-CA
XW42-2B674-AA
1W42-2C219-CB

he had told me it would be 822.56 for parts alone plus labor but i was thinking getting the parts from max, maybe it's cheaper w/ him, and doing it myself. i just don't want to mess anything up in the process. thanks

wow max, i am somewhat mechanically inclined but i have no idea what all that means. i'm thinking it needs to be done by a dealer because they have the cpt that is needed to fix this right? i'm glad to see that this is exaclty what's wrong with my car since all the codes and parts match up tho.

if nothing else at least let them diag and tell you what it needs. Then you can purchace or repair as needed or just let them do it.
Max

Just went through this same thing on my 04. Turned out it was just the battery going south. Mine would not show any codes. Battery tested at 10.4 volts. Replaced it with a stock Motorcraft replacement ($109 after discount from a dealer), cleared it right up and it runs better too. These cars are very voltage sensitive and if the battery is putting a big draw on the alternator you will have problems.

you went through the same thing with the check advancetrac light?

Yes...same symptoms. Only mine wasn't throwing any codes. It was also shifting funny and running rough sometimes. The new batery seems to have cleared it all up. We'll see how it goes.

Just had the same issue arrise with the AdvanceTrac light on the instrument cluster flashing. I also had a previous issue with the "Check AdvanceTrac" message randomly from the message center. This AdvanceTrac icon flashing happened recently, after having my transmission "diagnosed" at a shop. So I took it to a FLM dealer this morning to have the AdvanceTrac diagnosed properly. They pulled codes C1288 and C1289 from the system:
C1288 - Pressure Transducer Main / Primary Input Circuit Failure
C1289 - Pressure Transducer Redundant / Secondary Input Circuit Failure

They said there was a software update available and they just reflashed the transmission. Took care of the AdvanceTrac icon on the dash. Cost was $111.00. We'll see if this takes care of the intermittent "check advancetrac" message from the message center.

Just had the same issue arrise with the AdvanceTrac light on the instrument cluster flashing. I also had a previous issue with the "Check AdvanceTrac" message randomly from the message center. This AdvanceTrac icon flashing happened recently, after having my transmission "diagnosed" at a shop. So I took it to a FLM dealer this morning to have the AdvanceTrac diagnosed properly. They pulled codes C1288 and C1289 from the system:
C1288 - Pressure Transducer Main / Primary Input Circuit Failure
C1289 - Pressure Transducer Redundant / Secondary Input Circuit Failure

They said there was a software update available and they just reflashed the transmission. Took care of the AdvanceTrac icon on the dash. Cost was $111.00. We'll see if this takes care of the intermittent "check advancetrac" message from the message center.

cool, i gave up on mine due to the fact that the light hasn't came back on.

Members online

Back