Performance Exhaust Q...

Lincoln Luebbe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference between Magnaflow and Flowmaster? I know Magnaflow is an actual catback exhaust system. Is Flowmaster a muffler upgrade only?
The clips on youtube seem to show Flowmaster as a more deep aggressive growl and the Magnaflow a little more mellow and lighter.

For those of you with either system how acurate do those clips sound?

Before I spend that much on exhaust I want to know which is the better choice and why.

I am looking for something mellow at idle, but some growl when I get on it!

You can do whatever mufflers you want with some custom piping. Flows are a little too much for me - especially on a tiny 3.9. Been there, done that on a small block Ford with no cats.

The set-up on my car gives it a little tone at idle, to the point you can actually hear it running. At WOT, the motor is actually louder than the exhaust.

flowmaster is the mufflers only. the Magnsflow cat back has had alot of R&D done to make an increase in power. The exhaust tubes are "Mandrel bent" meaning that the I.D of the tube is not shrunk or crinkled to make the turns/bends.All the exhuast shop where I live can not find ANY shops that can mandrel bend tubes. They have the ability to smooth bend but it NOT mandrel bends.If you do go the flowmaster route be sure to ask before them if they mandrel bend if they dont I wouldnt waste my time. just my .02

I like the Flowmaster's for certain applications. My personal opinion is that the LS is not one of them.

If I actually had mufflers on my vehicle I believe I would put some Borla's on there. Good deep sound but do not get too loud and raspy like the Flowmaster's do.

i got a v6 n lookin for some pipes too!!! i want the loudest i can get without makin it sound like a lawnmower

If your going for performance, skip flowmasters. I agree with everyone else, they dont sound good on the 3.9. Ironically, they dont flow well at all....

blah my dad has flowmasters on a f150... they are a quiet/loud? if thats possible

Check out the link in my sig, the sound is pretty accurate. I have the Magnaflow setup. You get to hear it inside and outside of the car. However, this is with the resonators removed. It's a little louder than it should be.

If your going for performance, skip flowmasters. I agree with everyone else, they dont sound good on the 3.9. Ironically, they dont flow well at all....

Hit the nail on the head. In "independent" tests the flowmasters suck ass hole on the flow bench. I like what ills said. borlas are very nice, but expensive. I guess you get what you pay for. I own an exhaust shop so i dont pay retail for anything. I made up my exhaust using a mandrel bend "hot rod kit". 2.5 inch from the stock clamps back. Used 4x9 magnaflows part #11216. I made my own X-pipe useing two of the 45's in the kit. The tubing kit i used is an IMCO kit sold by Jegs under the Jegs brand name. The pipes are stock from the clamps forward. I will try to get video of my car soon. My car sounds like some kinda of italin v-10 or something.

No it not. Which is ok because i dont have a tig welder anyways, so the stainless would still rust at the welds.

400 series stainless can be MIG welded without rusting... doesn't require TIG unless it's 300 series

well yes and no. I use mild steel mig wire, so the weld will still rust. but your right the turbing itself wont.

haha... it's all formalities... they do make stainless wire for MIG... it's just very expensive and the weld quality isn't anywhere near TIG... or even mild steel MIG

Members online

No members online now.
Back