How do you get gas out of a totaled 99 Nav tank??

miamiaire

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Sat a week ago my 99 navigator engine caught fire in my carport a hour AFTER it was parked and locked there. The Geico insurance adjuster suspects the Speed Control Device (the Ford fire recall).

Fortunately for my family, I dosed the engine with CO2 and the fire dept was able to extinguish the fire quickly thereafter.

Problem is the tank is FULL of fuel. About $60 buck is going to leave my carport in a totalled Nav.

I and others have attempted to siphon the gas but...it seems there is a preventor (screen)?

Short of removing the tank, does anyone know how to get the gas out safely?

Thanks!

miamiaire

Dunno about Navi's tank but my E-150 has a rubber filler neck. Look from up under where the gas door is you should see the neck going to the tank - cut open the hose (remember knife + metal = sparks) and siphon from there. There is almost no way to do this 100% safely just take your time and use common sense. Use good ventilation and a proper siphon($5 at most auto stores), dont try to create a vacuum by sucking on the hose - nasty if you get a mouth full - wear eye protection at all times. Have approved containers standing buy to fill up. I feel for you I just siphoned off 22 gallons out of one of my T-Birds - had bad batch of gas <@#%@#$ Shell>

they sell kits cheat to siphon gas (or other liquids), basically a hand gun with a hose, you squeeze the gun and starts building up pressure and slowly sucks the gas up, eventually you cat get it flowing, unfortunately the plastic hoses are small and it may take a while to do it completely.

Members online

Back