race: 94 vs 95

turborich

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I raced my buddys 94 mark against my 95. He pulled me pretty hard. We raced from a dead stop up to 100mph. He pulled me by 2 cars. Both cars are identical except for the years, and I have 245/45/zr18s he has 245/40/zr18s. Could this make his car pull harder or is it the more aggresive 94 tuning???

My guess is the extra unsprung mass of your 18" rims combined with the slightly more aggressive tune.

turborich said:
I raced my buddys 94 mark against my 95. He pulled me pretty hard. We raced from a dead stop up to 100mph. He pulled me by 2 cars. Both cars are identical except for the years, and I have 245/45/zr18s he has 245/40/zr18s. Could this make his car pull harder or is it the more aggresive 94 tuning???

thats a pretty big difference for 94-95,i suggest you may have an issue with your car you are unaware of.or does he have something you dont know?

a half a car lenght iw ould say just differences in cars,but 2 car lenghts?????

Yeah, it seems a bit much huh? 2 cars? At first we were side by side then around 50 mph he just walked away from me. His car is identical to mine like I said with the exception of 94/95 and the tire size. We both just tuned our cars up with new wires and autolite 764 platinum plugs, both have drilled air box and rear mufflers removed.

Mine shifts very smooth like you would expect a lincoln to shift, his kicks the rear end over when it hits 2nd gear and just seems to run much harder. I do all of the work on both of our cars so no he doesn't have anything that I can see unless maybe the previous owner installed a chip???

Dont get me wrong, my car runs great but his really puts you in the seat. In 1st and 2nd its all over the road.

turborich said:
I do all of the work on both of our cars so no he doesn't have anything that I can see unless maybe the previous owner installed a chip???

So take a look under the dash and see if he has a chip installed.:eek: That would explain the harder 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Either that or he has a shift kit of some kind previously installed. I doubt he has 3:73's because he would pull you right off the line. So I am leaning towards shift kit or chip.

MonsterMark said:
So take a look under the dash and see if he has a chip installed.:eek: That would explain the harder 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Either that or he has a shift kit of some kind previously installed. I doubt he has 3:73's because he would pull you right off the line. So I am leaning towards shift kit or chip.
I will look next time he comes over.

buy a new fuel pump even if you dont think you need it, my car ran good so I thought and my buddy in his stock 95 would pass me by a car at second gear even when I had him by a car or so off the line. new fuel pump and I have to call him on my cell too see if he is still behide me

I had a 3500 stall and GT trans and full exhaust

Miles make a difference, previous driver, the maintinance that was done or not done, weak coils or wires and gas as well as fuel pump condition since they sucked from assembly line can all make more of a difference than tune. Shift kit or just possibly a cleaner trans in your buddies.

got a timing light, you can tell if you have a weak spark or not, if so coils or wires may help, they did me, i got more rpms and power, just because factory wires and coils whipped.

I just replaced the wires and plugs in both cars, I didn't change the coil packs though. I thought as long as there were no cracks or arch trails that they would be good. Both cars are arond the same mileage (115k) Both appear to have been well maintained, but you never know??? both transmissions were recently serviced as well. How would you use a timing light to determine weak spark on a distribitor less engine?

Members online

Back