Diagnostic Scan

ls2000jj

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a MT2500 Snap On Diagnostic Scanner, and am trying to find out what is wrong with my 2000 LS V6. There is a light on on my dash. The car will not set and idle for long before it dies. If I accelerate it just sits there and lopps, not getting over about 2500 rpm's. Now driving the car it will go dead when you stop and sit for a little while. Can anyone tell me what to check for on the scanner, or what it will tell me. Thanks for any help.

You have a Snao-On scanner and a car with a CEL... and you're asking us what to look for????

Can't help unless you actually plug the scanner INTO the car and let them have a little chat. Then come here and post the results. Kinda putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

Scanner

Yeah that is exactly what I was asking. I didn't know I would get such a reply like this on this forum. Yeah I am new, even with the scanner. Hey I just ask a question and it was pretty simple. Thanks for no help at all from you, please don't reply to anymore of my post.

THANK YOU

ls2000jj said:
Yeah that is exactly what I was asking. I didn't know I would get such a reply like this on this forum. Yeah I am new, even with the scanner. Hey I just ask a question and it was pretty simple. Thanks for no help at all from you, please don't reply to anymore of my post.

THANK YOU
Hey, dont get all uptight with his answer because he's 100% correct. I have a little $39 scanner i got from Walmart that tells me the engine codes. If you have a Snap On scanner then USE IT and post to us what it tells you. If theres a light on and it runs like crap then there will be a code stored which will give you a starting point. Without a code, who knows? My guess is your floor mats are slighty crooked and throwing the car off balance. Try checking for a code.

Scanner

You know I posted a thread here to try and get some help. I don't know anything about the codes, but that is what I was asking. Is there anyone that will help me without being smart. I came here for help not to get slammed because of my ignorance. Correct or not, I would not have sent anyone a reply like either of the two that I have recieved. You guys sure know how to welcome a new fellow. And the comment about the floor matts you to could have kept that to yourself. Thank you and please don't reply anymore. All I did was ask for help. Sorry to have bothered any of you. My apologies for asking.

Dude, nobody is slamming you. What we are telling you to do is post the error codes your car is showing. Your the one who said they have a $600 scan tool. Use it. The floor mat comment was being smart because your not giving anyone any clue as to your problem. Do you know how to use your Snap On MT2500 Scan Tool ? The codes read out like P2110, P2107. Hell, from the symtoms you describe it could be something as easy as your intake not being tightened down properly. How is anyone supposed to diagnose your car over the internet from your original post. Think some common sense.

You knew enough that your car had a check engine light and went out and got a scanner. Great! I would at least figure that even a novice (such as myself) would read the directions that came with the scanner or knew that the scanner must provide you with some sort of information that could be passed on to others for help.

Read the directions on the scanner, plug it into the car and pull the codes. Post back here with the results and we can/may help you out. But your first post was like, "Well, I bought a new car and it came with these keys? Anyone know how they work?" Like I said, it's like putting the cart before the horse. Give us something to work with other than your symptoms to help narrow down the problem with your LS.

If you are wondering, the OBDII port (which the scanner plugs into) is just below the kick panel, below the steering column. You have to get down in there to see it, but it's there.

The scanner...if used properly....will give you any Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in the ECM. Once you have those codes, it's up to you to determine what is causing them. Contrary to many who are naive' about this, the codes and scanner DO NOT tell you what to fix. They simply tell you what is out of spec. It's your responsibility to determine what is causing the problem and how to fix it.

Return the tool and get your money back.
Go to a Pep Boy's or comparable auto parts store and have them pull the codes, which they'll often do at no charge.
Post the codes here.

Wow, so some of you guys can really be a-holes. I thought forums such as this one was for help which this poor kid has come on here to get. I know the original post was not helpful at all, but I do believe it would have been easier to try to get more info out of the kid. There is some helpful information in a couple of these posts. Though you kind of have to dig between the smart comments. You will need to plug the scanner in and give us your codes. Do not allow these guys to run you off. There are some great guys that will be more than happy to help you out. Good luck and I hope you are able to get it fixed.

Members online

Back