Gas Mileage for the LS V8

Vaughn84

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just curious what kind of gas mileage you all get. I get good mileage on the road, roughly 23 mpg, and that is with the A/C on. In town or city driving I get between 13 and 14 mpg, and of course that is with the A/C on, where I live there is no other way. Is this normal or should I have a little bit better fuel economy in town? I have a 2001 LS V8 with 43,000 miles. Let me know. Thanks!

I get about 17 mpg in town with my 04 V8...with about 24-26 on the highway but I'd probably get better in town if I didn't gas it so much...I have all ideas after I replace the stock air filter box setup and exhaust it'll probably be around 15 mpg in town and maybe better than 26 on highway.

2001 LS8 43,000miles
i get between 14.8 and 17 city depends on idle time. and 23 highway

Around town 17-19 mpg.

Highway 21-23 mpg (65-70 mph).

This weekend I set the cruise at 59 mph (tach 1850 rpm) on the interstate and got an inpressive 28.5 mpg. I guess that goes to show how much a heavy right foot really costs.

City I get the normal 17-19 depending on how much stop and go there is. At one time I got like 26 just after filling up but it went down to 21 and 19 by the next day. Hwy I get maybe 24 I'd say, but I do not get on often or too long for that matter to really see.

Mixed I average around 19.

looks like u do lol i get 13 in city and i really dont take it easy at all..

OK, finally got to do a long highway trip and check mileage.

My 2004 LSV8 got 25mpg on a round trip to Las Vegas from LA this past weekend. Cruise speed was mostly 80mph more or less. Temps in the 70s, low traffic. We stopped a couple times both ways.

My usual commute mileage is about 18-19 in a 30 mile one way trip mostly freeway with maybe 3-5 miles of slow and go and 2 miles of city streets.

So at least 25mpg looks doable at hi speed.

Jim Henderson

Lately, I've getting 300 miles or more to a tank of gas with mixed city and highway driving. This is much better than the 260-270 that I got when I first got the car. I believe that the mods, valve cover gasket repair and quality of gas have contributed to my better gas mileage.

when i drove my car from fla to nc i filled it up i had slightly over 400 miles to the tank and filled it up half way into the drive with a quarter tank left and had a little over half tank when i got to wilmington nc

btw i get roughly 20 mpg and 24 drivin interstate 95
also condition of the car is 2000 ls8 with 79900 miles
but i take it easy everywhere i go

2003 LS v8 with 55,000 miles....get about 17 in the city. Highway without cruise is around 24 and i about a month ago when i drove back from wisconsin dells i set the cruise at 75 and got an amazing 29.0 mpg but usually around 26-27 with cruise.

Gas milage

Hi Guys i have a 2005 LS V-8 with 46000 miles and i get 21.6 in the city and 24 on the highway.
K&N filter Magna flow exhaust E3 plugs synthetic oil lowered with Eibac springs.
Mike

This thread waited more than 5 years for you to respond

What a patient thread

That's really high mileage though

Your city is better than my highway but I'll have to see how it levels out now that I got my COPs taken care of

I did a Florida to Connecticut trip not long ago. Stop and go traffic I averaged around 14.3 to 17. At 65-70 mph I was averaging 25-27. Not too bad.

21.6 in the city? You must have a very empty city with no traffic and no stop signs :D

04 v8
City i get between 17.1 and 19.2
Hwy i get between 25-28.5, best hwy tank was 29.7 from des monies to Papilion, NE during the spring

i was confused when 1st few posts read 2006... lol
2000 v8 non sport 17 city 23 highway
terrible

what can you do to get better gas mileage ?? I was getting 13-15 now that I added a system i get around 12 .... is the extra weight hurt that much ?

New here – found this site a few months ago searching for “2005 Lincoln LS Harsh shifting.” I’ve been visiting regularly since. Anyway, mine is all stock, 3.9 V8 sport with 60,xxx miles. I was getting 14-16 MPG but I recently disconnected the battery to reset the transmission per the owners manual, and since I’ve been averaging 19-21 MPG. I work fulltime and two part-time jobs. So mine is most city driving. BTW, love the staggered jaguar wheels (HyeLifeLS, Mlara1129, etc) and looking for a set.

what can you do to get better gas mileage ?? I was getting 13-15 now that I added a system i get around 12 .... is the extra weight hurt that much ?

I don't know what your problem is but it sure isn't the extra weight. I get almost 15mpg in my 4.6 Liter Mark VIII with full bolt-ons and exhaust weighing in at 4040#. I feel bad for you to say the least.

Something is definitely wrong with the car.

I average 17.5 - 18, that's driving hard. Not really highway miles either.

When was last time the car got a tune-up?

My wife gets upper 14's in town with the a/c running. She has a heavy foot and here in The People's Republik we have crappy fuel.

My wife drives the LS as a commuter, so when I check it its usually in the 16's. When we visit her family on the other side of Dallas (about a 40 mile drive one way) with us and the kids we get about 28~29 mpg. That's with the cruise set at 65mph most of the way.

Also It has ~118,000 miles. I'm using a K&N filter, and NGK iridium plugs. It has a set of Michelin tires, and that's on Sam's Club gas.

Members online

No members online now.
Back