Leaving for 4-6 months

ltnate3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey going to do my part supporting the war on terrorism. I'll be gone between 4-6 months. My car will be in the garage but is there anything I should do to get it ready for sitting for that long?

Trickle charger and a car cover should do it. Good luck and godspeed!

-Scott-

that's enough time for fuel to begin to varnish isn't it?

My bad forgot fuel up with BP 93 add some StayBill fuel additive and drive around get it all mixed then plug in charger and cover it. Works for my 67 E-Type that sets all winter in storage, come spring I spray a lil starter fuild in the carbs and she fires right up.

-Scott-

I would also stabilize the fuel. If the tank is full you will not get water from condensation--but dont waste money on a full tank if you do not stabilize it!

they say 4 months but is it really going to be 4 months... my 6 months turned into 11.... Goodluck, and don't worry about the dumb ass car.

ltnate3 said:
Hey going to do my part supporting the war on terrorism. I'll be gone between 4-6 months. My car will be in the garage but is there anything I should do to get it ready for sitting for that long?

Where you headed? I leaving too in about 5 weeks to Qatar. I see you're from O'Fallon. Is that MO or IL? I'm stationed at Whiteman AFB. Good Luck.

Well my car stayed here while I was in France for 6 months. I think my mom took it around the block once a month, but that's about it. You should be fine.

I think someone mentioned but make sure you leave it with a full tank of gas. This will help prevent moisture from building up in the tank. We do this with small aircraft every night!

Also, make sure someone drives it at least once a month to prevent flat spots on the tires.

9enisP said:
Where you headed? I leaving too in about 5 weeks to Qatar. I see you're from O'Fallon. Is that MO or IL? I'm stationed at Whiteman AFB. Good Luck.

Hey everyone thanks for the kind words and advise. I'm in O'Fallon IL stationed at Scott AFB. I'm headed to KCIA.

Hey your from scott what is your job????? im at macdill in tampa one of my coworkers is actually leaving to scott soon like in the next couple of weeks.

Wicked_LS said:
Hey your from scott what is your job????? im at macdill in tampa one of my coworkers is actually leaving to scott soon like in the next couple of weeks.

Hey my girl is a Comm Officer at Macdill. I work in the Logistics Directorate for HQ AMC.

hey im at travis, afb im going to U.A.E in sep. For 4 months got to love the air force

So fill the tank, add stabilizer and cover it? Does anyone think I should put it on jack stands and have my wife start it once a week or not? When I left my vette for 6 months that's what I did and it started/ran just fine when I returned.

Members online

No members online now.
Back