02 LS V8 Shock Removal

bagman52

LVC Member
Reaction score
Started the process to replace front suspension components and I have hit a snag. I am trying to remove the shock assembly but the the four bolts up top holding it in place are spinning when I try to remove the nut. There is nothing grab but threads and dont want to damage those.

The shocks are not original, recall seeing paperwork that they were replaced by Sears a couple years back. What odd thing and maybe it is not odd the passenger side nuts are 13mm and drivers side are smaller maybe 12mm but know they are smaller than 13.

Anyway, I am hoping i am just sunburned and there is a simple fix or I am just missing something but appreciate any guidance on how to get the four nuts off so I can drop the shock assembly down and get on with replacing everything.

Thanks for the help!

I am guessing when they replaced the shocks they either used cheap mount plates or over tightened the nuts stripping the studs in the mount plate. I am going to grind off the nuts and order new motorcraft mount plates. Anyone disagree?

Can you still get those new?
I'd get some from your local pick-n-pull junkyard.

Rock Auto showed they have two left and I ordered them. Time will tell if they ship. If not there is a local guy that deals in Lincoln parts and I will hit him up.

UPDATE - passenger side done, drivers side next weekend.

New strut mounts arrived Thursday. Glad I was able to get Motorcraft versions. I ended up replacing the shock/strut as it was leaking fluid. Purchased Monroe OE Spectrum 71344 from O'Reilly's mostly because they were the only ones who had any in stock.

Getting the shock assembly back together was impossible for me to do with rental tool. I could not compress the spring enough with the loaner tool from Autozone. Luckily I was able to find a tire shop, Hamm's Tire in Watauga, TX (good guys), and they reassembled it for a very reasonable price. Even with a large wall mount spring compressor it was a bear. Once done all went back together pretty easily.

Make sure you note the insulator position on the strut mount you remove and install the new one the same as way. I made sure when the shock and spring were reassembled it was lined up like it was when I removed it.

Forgive me guys if this is a stupid question but I will be replacing both entire front strut assemblies in the next week or so. Does the suspension need to be realigned after doing so?

Others may have a different opinion but I would get an alignment after changing any suspension components.

They are coil over shocks, not struts. As such, if you don't change the ride height, then changing them does not alter the alignment.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back