04 LSV8 Power problems

gal54uk

LVC Member
Reaction score
04 LS V8 Sport. Tried to start today and almost complete power failure. Turn key - nothing happens. No instrument lights. Battery OK. Courtesy lights work. Door locks work. Checked fuses and all appear OK. Bad relay?

I'll have to look at the wiring diagrams tonight, but I don't think any relays are involved in power to the ignition switch. Does the key-in chime sound with the key in and the driver's door open?

Okay, all power for the ignition switch comes from fuse 22 (20A) in the trunk fuse box. It is hot at all times.
Is the fuse good? Does it have +12V on both sides of it?
A red wire with black stripe leaves the fuse headed for the front of the car. It goes through connector C263. C263 is under the dash, between the glove box and the passenger side wall. Check and see if there is 12V there. Power leaves the connector on a solid red wire. From there, it goes to splice S213, where it leaves as two solid red wires, both going to the ignition switch. Do you have +12V at both of these at the switch?

did you test the battery or did you determine it's good by seeing the lights and locks work? They take much less power than the starter. It's hard to tell when the lights are a little dim, but it may be easier to hear if the horn sound is weaker if you don't have a voltmeter or battery tester

Fuse 22 ok. Could not check the others suggested but battery down to 11 +volts. Good news. My daughter fixes her computer problems by turning everything off and on again. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Reconnnected and as the battery was low tried to jump start it. Had a little tantrum with flashing lights and the rev counter needle jumping around - but then it started! Everything seems to be working OK. Thank you all for suggestions.

This is the 2nd time that your LS has done this, or something very much like this. I haven't heard of any others doing this, and there's nothing on the schematics to explain how this might be possible. I think that your LS must have some sort of aftermarket (anti-theft maybe) device installed/hidden somewhere. I think that if you trace the wire circuit I indicated, you should find it.

This is the 2nd time that your LS has done this, or something very much like this. I haven't heard of any others doing this, and there's nothing on the schematics to explain how this might be possible. I think that your LS must have some sort of aftermarket (anti-theft maybe) device installed/hidden somewhere. I think that if you trace the wire circuit I indicated, you should find it.
Thanks. When I bought this car it had an after market remote start/anti theft system which I had removed. Maybe there is something still there somewhere. Will check. Thanks.

My '03 V8 started acting similarly and intermittently wacky several years ago, eventually leaving me stranded with lights working, car cranking but not starting, and the tech needle jumping all over the place. Had it towed to dealer who informed me that the computer was fried, they'd replace for just south of $2k, but the mechanic liked to drift race LS's and would buy it from me for $1k! The good people on this board suggested the computer was likely fine but battery was bad. Replaced it, now 50k miles later and the car's run like a champ ever since.

Yeah, your symptoms are classic for low battery, but his symptoms are not really very similar to yours, if you look closely.

Members online

No members online now.
Back