Shattered Rear Window

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got my car back after being T-boned. Not even a week later and I heard a bad pop last night. Today I see that the back window completely shattered on its own. Perhaps the shock caused it. Tried to include it on thr claim but no way to prove it. Crazy... Assuming the tint is holding it together.

Found a replacement for $175.

As far as install Im assuming its not as complicated like the front? I see there is a black wire attached to the glass near the 3rd brake light? Not sure what that does ot how its attached.

20191104_145729.jpg

20191104_143853.jpg

Maybe if you take it back to the body shop, they can write a letter to the insurance company saying it is very probable that the window shattering was definitely due to the accident.

Might change the insurance company's mind. Had it happened initially... it might have been enough for the insurance company to total the vehicle... which is probably why they don't want to cover it now.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new glass with fit correctly and not be very stressed. Your car is bent more than they think.

$400+ for new glass. 3W4Z-5442006-AA

Junkyards cannot guarantee that the rear molding which is part of the glass it seems will be in tact. However one said they can request it for $175. Seems the median price used is about $150.

Are you sure the car was repaired correctly?
I think just replacing the glass will lead to more breakage?

The window opening is stressing the glass and when you drive it adds to that stress. It's just a matter of time and driving conditions before it breaks again.

Are you sure the car was repaired correctly?
I think just replacing the glass will lead to more breakage?

The window opening is stressing the glass and when you drive it adds to that stress. It's just a matter of time and driving conditions before it breaks again.

Wasnt bent. Its crazy but the actual cause was the defroster.. it shattered from where the wire attaches. Possibly a short? Have never seen this before. The original tab came off when I replaced the speaker. Got the paste off amazon again and glued a new tab on after sanding lightly for good continuity. There was barely any stress from the cable and no visible cracks. After about a year it caused this. Got the new one in today and im leaving the defroster off...

If it was a poor (high resistance connection) where you did the repair, then almost all the heating power would go there instead of the rest of the grid. So, not a short.

Members online

No members online now.
Back