windshield washer check valve.

Elessee

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My washer hasn't worked for a year or so, but now that roads are wet and sloppy, I want to fix it. Opened the hood. Reservoir is half full. Pulled the hoses from the wiper T connection. There was a drip-dribble of fluid.

Then I see fluid on the firewall. Just in front of the driver, the hose is cut, and there's a little filter, with an arrow on it. Is this filter also a one-way valve?

Mine broke in half. On closer inspection, someone epoxied the two halves of this valve together long ago, and the repair cracked. Fluid is leaking so fast, there's no pressure.

OK... I could easily JB Weld the two halves back together.. But there's an arrow in it. If it is supposed to be a one-way valve, the little ball or disk or whatever functioned as a valve is missing. I looked online and don't see this part available.
Is there supposed to be a check valve here?

Last edited:
After messing with it, I'm sure it's only an inline filter. There was a small cone-shaped, removable, nylon mesh filter inside. An arrow points the correct direction of flow.

The filter body was cleanly split across the middle. I suspect it originally had a circular clip holding it together, for disassembly, so the filter might be cleaned.

My filter was mostly clogged with gummy residue. Cleaned it.
Smeared a tiny bit of silicone to waterproof the joint. Once dry, used a bead of 5-minute epoxy putty around the edge, to hold things together.
It shoots fluid a lot better now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back